• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Better way for accessing photoshop files on qnap

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know Photoshop does not work well with server, but is it the same for accessing psd files on a qnap? I am having an issue where I get a "could not open file because file is locked, you do not have necessary access permissions" when trying to open some file. However if I try to open it with preview it opens fine. I know it is best to duplicate it and work on it on your local drive then put it back but sometimes I forget to put it back. Is there a better way to accessing psd files from the QNAP without getting those weird errors.

I have veriifed I do have correct permisssions. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Hi

QNAP is Network Attached Storage (NAS). As such, Adobe's recommendation of working to a local drive still stands. See link below:

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

QNAP is Network Attached Storage (NAS). As such, Adobe's recommendation of working to a local drive still stands. See link below:

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay thanks for the pormpt answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2024 Apr 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a far from reasonable position to take. My QNap NAS has 10 GbE connection that is fast enough to edit 4K video over. (About 650 MBps, half as fast as an NVME RAID 10 I have that can do 1,200 to 1,500 GBps. If Photoshop can't edit files over that fast a network then Adobe is doing something wrong. 

Granted, mine is not a typical NAS, it also uses the ZFS file system. But such a broad recommendation from Adobe does not serve its customers. I also have a 12 TB G-Drive using Thunderbolt 3 that is very popular with Photoshop and Lightroom enthusiasts. It's six times slower than my NAS. and yet fits Adobe's definition of a usable storage device.

What's wrong with this picture?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read the link in Dave's post again. The speed isn't the problem. It's the different network configurations that Adobe have no control over. It's all the hardware and software layers that need to communicate. A network is a much more complex interface than a hard drive.

This has never been a secret. Working over a network is not supported by Adobe, and it never has been. They are officially warning against it, as they have done from the very beginning.

Networks are murky waters. It may work one day, and stop working the next day. It may work for a year, and then suddenly you start getting corrupt files. And all of it is outside Adobe's control, because there is no way they can keep track of all changing network configurations out there.

That's the reality. You may deny that and insist it should work. But then you proceed at your own risk.

The safe way to work over a network is to save to your local internal drive, then copy the file over. That's a much simpler operation than a save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is a very reasonable position.

Adobe are not saying - this will not work. There are saying that there are so many variables that could cause corruption in direct to network saving that, if you choose to work that way, then your are on your own and unsupported.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines