Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Borderless printing problem Adobe Photoshop 2020

Contributor ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Since the update to Adobe Photoshop 2020, I am having difficulty producing borderless A4 prints. I did not have this problem prior to the update. I just used to select A4 borderless within my printers settings and I got what I wanted. Now I am getting an enlarged print image and not the borderless print I was expecting.

I am using an Epson XP-970 printer, are there new settings I should be using in Adobe Photoshop 2020? I have a project that I wanted to submit borderless prints for tomorrow, so any help that anyone can give me would be greatly received. Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Borderless printing increases the size of the image slightly, so that it prints over the edge of the sheet. In order to do that, it will crop the image slightly. One viable solution might be to extend the size of the background slightly bigger than A4, so that when it's enlarged for borderless printing, it will appear to be the correct size.

Have you tried creating a bleed in your artwork? Print the image at 100% (no enlarging) and then trim it yourself, after it has been printed. A bleed is an area which extends over the size of the sheet.

Also, does the problem occurs with all the existing projects that you are trying to print or just the one's you have created in Photoshop 2020?

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Akash,

Thank you for your reply. The problem only occurs in the one's created in 2020. 2019 was fine and gave me correct results previously.

Thank you

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Borderless printing is a function of the print driver - not Photoshop. So when you select Print>Print Settings you are looking at the Epson Print Driver dialogue.
To get borderless then you ensure your Photoshop image size matches , or slightly exceeds the paper size. Then, in print settings, choose borderless and whether the print driver should apply any expansion. Note though, that most printers do not support borderless printing for every paper size. The printer manual should advise on that.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply. I was able to print successfully borderless prints using my current printer and 2019. All gone astray I am afraid since I updated to 2020.

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm puzzled by your description. If your image size is the same as your paper size, how do you get an "enlarged print", bigger than the paper without it being borderless.
Can you show your print dialogue - both Photoshop and the Epson "Print Settings" dialogue.

In the print dialogue - make sure scaling is set to 100%.

In print settings pay attention to these:

2019-11-13_19-14-37.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has a solution been posted or found to this issue? It has certainly been awhile since I did a borderless print but what I need to solve needs it now and I noticed this same issue tonight. A search landed me here with the same problem. Photoshop is enlarging the image. Any part of the image that would normally be in the "margin" on a regular print is ignored and the image within the normal document print area is enlarged to the paper edges. Thereby effectively enlarging the image and effectively cropping out .125". I noticed this thread was a few years old, I'm currently on 25.0.0 and the issue still persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you checked the borderless settings in your printer driver, as shown in the post directly above yours? Enlargement on borderless printing is a function of the printer driver not Photoshop and is an option (usually on by default when printing borderless) to prevent white edges due to paper misalignment.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines