Exit

BridgeTalk and localization

Advisor ,
May 20, 2010 May 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have CS3, CS4, and CS5 all installed. I run this bit of code from the docs

BridgeTalk.getSpecifier("photoshop", 0, "en_us");

I only get the correct answer from CS3 apps. CS4 and CS5 always return null. If I drop off the locale, CS4 and CS5 magically work.

Usually, I wouldn't care. But I kinda need to support multiple localizations in PS.

Anybody else seeing anything different?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advisor ,
May 22, 2010 May 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a follow on, these don't work with en_US or de_DE:

BridgeTalk.launch("photoshop-12.0-de_DE");

BridgeTalk.launch("photoshop-12-de_DE");

BridgeTalk.launch("photoshop-0-de_DE");

The only thing that does work is

BridgeTalk.launch("photoshop-12");

So, it looks like things are either broke or have changed (a lot) and just aren't documented.

-X

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 25, 2010 May 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is multi-lingual starting with CS4. You can find out what language it is in after it is running by using app.locale. You will get no language information from the specifier for CS4 and newer via BridgeTalk.

The other difficult part is that Photoshop is 32 and 64 bit on Macintosh and Windows so the specifiers are 11.032 and 11.064. This was an easy way for the 64 bit version to win if you don't specify which version you want. You get the highest version with a bare specifier, "photoshop", and that would translate to the 64 bit app if you are on 64 bit hardware.

The examples in the documentation need to get updated for "photoshop" but they do work and are correct for other suite applications that support BridgeTalk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info, Tom. And it's good to see you spending time here 🙂

But I still have the underlying problem where I have a Bridge script that needs to launch a PS in a particular locale. Since the BridgeTalk locale specifiers don't work for PS, and setting the UI Language (aka Locale) in PS preferences is ignored I'm very stuck. Currently, I have to tell users that they need to manually need to specify the locale and then run the script; I can't batch across locales.

Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

BTW, the Script Listener does generate code for changing locales. It's just silently ignored when you execute that code from a script.

-X

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the locale and then restarting Photohsop doesn't work? Let's log that bug. I thought locale changes only worked after a restart of Photoshop.

And even if we fix that you would have to Launch, change/check locale, relaunch if needed, then run your script. Looks like you have a fun problem to solve. What exactly are you trying to do? Maybe another approach would work. Are you dealing with folks that change their locale a lot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Changing the locale and then restarting Photohsop doesn't work? Let's log that bug.

Correct. Changing the locale from JS does not work. Even after a restart.

And even if we fix that you would have to Launch, change/check locale, relaunch if needed, then run your script.

Not a problem. The app is driven from a top-level Bridge script because of all of the "interesting" things I have to do to/with PS.

Looks like you have a fun problem to solve. What exactly are you trying to do? Maybe another approach would work. Are you dealing with folks that change their locale a lot?

NDA 🙂  I'll drop you a line.

-X

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines