• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brush Cursor changing to Crosshair

Participant ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this is a Photoshop glitch or a problem with my keyboard but the circular brush cursor occasionally disappears. Firstly, caps is not on, secondly, I haven't made the brush size too big for the screen. I've been having a problem recently with my Mac where my caps lock gets stuck on and I have to do a PRAM reset to turn it off, I initially thought the Photoshop brush problem was related to this but it happens now even when my caps is off.

I've noticed a string of problems popping up in InDesign 2017 on the new iMac I work on due to the graphics card etc. so I thought it might be version related.

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Hi Dative,

Most of the time it gets fixed by turning off the Caps lock key, since you have already tried it you may try and reset Photoshop preferences.

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

I'm probably way late, but I just solved this on my own MBP in the most unexpected way and want to leave it for any future users.  I initially reset Photoshop preferences and nothing happened.  But I was using my laptop in clamshell closed mode and when I cracked it open, I discovered that even though caps lock was off on the external keyboard, it was on on the laptop, which somehow activated the PS brush toggle.  Guess even with the lid closed, the keyboard remains active and receives priority

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Actually, go to brushes settings and use PRECISE...that gives you back the circle size of the brush!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dative,

Most of the time it gets fixed by turning off the Caps lock key, since you have already tried it you may try and reset Photoshop preferences.

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mohit,

Sorry for hacking this post. I have got the same issue, I turned off the cap lock key, my cursor appeared circle but as soon as I started moving the cursor it came back the cross. I double checked the preferences, nothing suspicious. You mentioned above "reset Photoshop preferences" can you please elaborate it / or any other ideas to get it back to the circle shape. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Dvu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I managed to reset photoshop preferences (Preferences in Photoshop)

however I still cannot get circle cursor back, it always appears cross shape. If you could help me to resolve it, that would be great

Thanks

Dvu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

After reset once again this time I removed the right version/ folder i.e. CC 2017. it worked.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That insane.  That is not your job  How many hours of work di dyou ose doign this?  Did you get a rebate on your subscription?  Having to mess with the program folders is beyond the pale.  That means beyond offensive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A very old thread, but since someone has woken it up, this is probably what was causing your issue

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I reset the preferences twice and the cross is still there. I can see the circle just when I turn on/off the caps-lock but when I move the mouse, the circle becomes the bloody cross.

It was just after the update to the latest version ( I updated all the adobe suite). I'm on macbook pro osx 10.13.1

I really need the shape for my job, so I really appreciate your solutions.

Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

miguela71947413  wrote

Hi,

I reset the preferences twice and the cross is still there. I can see the circle just when I turn on/off the caps-lock but when I move the mouse, the circle becomes the bloody cross.

It was just after the update to the latest version ( I updated all the adobe suite). I'm on macbook pro osx 10.13.1

I really need the shape for my job, so I really appreciate your solutions.

Thanks in advance

Hi Miguela

This is a very old thread, and it has been marked as answered, which means you have a low chance of your issue being addressed.  So can you start a new thread please?

Mention that you are on using an MPB on 10.13.1 and CC2018.  Tell us exactly what is happening, and under what circumstances.

In case you have not already done so, make sure your cursor is set how you want it in Preferences.

Also say what plug-ins and Extensions you are using.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

I forgot to mention that the cursor preferences are exactly as I want. No extensions or plugins...

Hope this could be solved!

Thanks again,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm probably way late, but I just solved this on my own MBP in the most unexpected way and want to leave it for any future users.  I initially reset Photoshop preferences and nothing happened.  But I was using my laptop in clamshell closed mode and when I cracked it open, I discovered that even though caps lock was off on the external keyboard, it was on on the laptop, which somehow activated the PS brush toggle.  Guess even with the lid closed, the keyboard remains active and receives priority from the OS.  Anyway, switching it off fixed the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh man- this was my exact issue. Tried everything listed above but it still showed the crosshair cursor. But on the laptop I had plugged into my monitor- the sneaky caps lock was on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh boy... been dealing with this for weeks - seen this thread and happened to look at another external keyboard if had on the floor and had forgot about. it had the CAPS LOCK on and now everything back to normal - thank you so very much!!!!!!!   :)))))))))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That worked for me too. Mismatched caps lock between external keyboard and laptop keyboard. Turn off the external keyboard, reset caps lock and reconnect. All working fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was it. Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude... LIFE.  SAVER!  Thanks for that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are an amazing person. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AMAZING!!  Thanks for posting this.  I didn't even know this could happen. 

Turning off the laptop caps lock did the trick for me too (now if I could just get that last hour back..).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy cuttlefish. Thankyou @tjsmonsters

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks you@!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was it for me! I knew it had to be a caps lock thing but couldn't figure it out since my keyboard on my desk said it was off and it was typing in lower case.  Thanks so much for your answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To TJSearl: Thank you! That is exactly what I needed to learn. My caps lock was enabled on my laptop keyboard but not on my external keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much!! I was trying to figure it out for hours ))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks TJSearl!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never even in 5 human lifes I would come to this rootcause if you didn't share this here. Caps lock on my external Apple keyboard which was put on a shelf was interfering with the built-in keyboard. 

Thank you random internet hero! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines