• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brush opacity changes when changing brush size

Participant ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use alt + right click to change brush size, the opacity of my brush also changes. This happens with multiple tools and multiple brush presets. This is extremely problematic for me because it is absolutely essential that my brush opacity remains at 100% at all times. How can I fix this?

Here is an animation showing my problem: 1 GIF | Create, Discover and Share on Gfycat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the Transfer settings for that brush?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None; just shape dynamics and smoothing. In that gif, I was just using the default "hard round" brush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2023 May 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, this is an innate issue with opacity settings not tied to the brush itself. I run into this issue daily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it happen when you use keyboard brackets?   [ = smaller,  ] = bigger?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bracket shortcuts don't seem to change opacity, but using alt shortcut afterward will still change opacity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried everything I can think of to duplicate the issue, but it never happens on my system.

What operating system are you using?

Are you right clicking with the mouse, or a tablet button?  If the latter, what tablet, and what driver?

What GPU are you using, and what driver version?

Have you tried disabling GPU Assistance in Preferences?

If that fixes it, try different settings for Drawing Mode.

If you still have the issue after that, can you go Help > System Info > Copy and paste to this thread?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im experiencing the same issue: I've tried disabling the GPU assistance, and making sure I have the latest driver. I have a Cintiq 22HD, and the driver is up to date. (6.3.42-2). 

And this is the second computer I've had this issue with, so im guessing it's something with the cintiq?? I could really use some help figuring this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no fix for that, actually this is the most frustrating thing about Photoshop these days, because they made it as a feature couple years ago and I see they didn't changed it back to this day. I mean, how they even came to such an idea is hillarious. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely agree. Every professional I know hates this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. I've talked more than an hour with customer service, they erased my preferences, tried some things, but nothing changed. 

Absolutely frustrating and a real problem when working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just found out the problem. When moving the cursor left to right, it changes brush size. But when moving the cursor up and down, it changes opacity.

Still frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's in preferences, "change hardness when moving mouse" or something. But it always will change opacity when you move verticaly. It's not a bug, it's a feature they have introduced couple years ago unfortunatelly. Resetting preferences won't do anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here. I work as a Disney artist and it constantly makes my coworkers laugh, but it is a huge workflow problem for us and other digital painters in the industry. We're hopping over to Procreate more and more.... Adobe, your competitors are outperforming your products right, left, and center. Absolutely NO professional that I know uses the brackets to resize anymore - they aren't convenient for the way our hands are positioned on the keys. We use the right button on our stylus, like civilized society. Nobody wants their opacity to slowly dwindle down as they use the brush, we can change that other ways. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, pay attention to this, and please provide a fix. Casual users on the program won't discover this issue, but people who use Photoshop professionally (aka your most dedicated consumers) in the digital painting world have to constantly correct their opacity because of this useless feature. 

I don't speak as a representative of any organization professionally. Please just get this together and provide a fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree, it's a consant probleme when you need to make assets with strict guidelines requiering 100% oppacity and 100% sharpeness. It's such an easy fix too, take one employee off the AI department and make him fix this stupid feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2024 Feb 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just like in Substance Painter Alt+RMB drag to side changes side an UP/DOWN changes Opacity/Hardness.
It is ridicoulous to see no answer to this, but so many people complain about it. I struggled with it for a long timw, till I just looked here and saw people say "professionals" stuggle with it. 
Srsly Skill Issue. I hate it, but know I know how it works and what to look out for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines