• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Calling an Automation plug-in from a Filter plug-in

New Here ,
Aug 12, 2010 Aug 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to do this? Viveza seems to be able to do it in their plug-in, however, I haven't found anything in the documentation or examples detailing how to pass data from a filter plug-in to an automation plug-in. I know it's possible to use an automation plug-in to invoke a filter plug-in, but how do you go the other way around?

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 13, 2010 Aug 13, 2010

What you do is set up an automation plug-in that "listens" for the filter plug-in. The filter plug-in as a unique id that the automation plug-in can "hear". You pass back and forth information via the scripting calling and return parameters. You have to piece together different parts of different plug-ins in the SDK to get this to work.

Pair #1:

Look at the textauto (automation) and textformat (format) example pair. The file format (textformat) is picked which just makes an empty document for a te

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't go the other way around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks for that bit, Chris. Let me describe the situation in more detail what I'm trying to achieve:

I want to call a plug-in that is called from the Filters menu, which then somehow (this is the step I'm trying to figure out) passes its result to a plug-in that is in the Automation menu, which uses the result it got to create a new layer with the result.

This *IS* possible, because this is exactly what the well-known Viveza plug-in does. Is there any way to do this by means of having the automation plug-in react to some event that is triggered by the filter plug-in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 13, 2010 Aug 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you do is set up an automation plug-in that "listens" for the filter plug-in. The filter plug-in as a unique id that the automation plug-in can "hear". You pass back and forth information via the scripting calling and return parameters. You have to piece together different parts of different plug-ins in the SDK to get this to work.

Pair #1:

Look at the textauto (automation) and textformat (format) example pair. The file format (textformat) is picked which just makes an empty document for a text (txt) file. The automation plug-in (textauto) hears this and then goes and gets the text out of the document and creates a text layer.

Pair #2:

Look at automationfilter (automation) and hidden (filter) example pair. The automation plug-in starts it and uses the hidden filter to actually change the pixels. This is a better example of sending commands and results back and forth from two different types of plug-ins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2010 Aug 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If all you're doing is adding a new layer, also consider doing it using Javascript scripting, which is easier than writing an automation plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 20, 2010 Aug 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure would be nice if the plug-in interface were to be expanded so that a Filter plugin could create a new layer, though, so we didn't have to go through such rigamarole.  I have wanted to add a [ ] Result In New Layer option for a long time... 

Seriously; nowaday's virtually everything's about being "non-destructive".  How about at least providing a complete example in the SDK that accomplishes the filter/automation listening and coordination mentioned above?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2010 Aug 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Noel, I've been able to achieve the wanted result, although it took a lot of piecing of different information together to achieve. Perhaps when I have more time, I'll post a detailed explanation of how to do it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines