Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera RAW problem with Smart Objects

Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hellow everyone!

I'm looking for some help because I'm having problems with Adobe Camera Raw filter in Photoshop.

When I have a layer of a smart objetct (for example, a photo) and I want to edit it with the adobe camera raw filter, it freezes on a loading bar. This only happens with an smart object, because if I took the same photo but not turned into an smart object, the camera raw filter works.

Captura de Pantalla 2022-12-02 a las 14.35.52.pngCaptura de Pantalla 2022-12-02 a las 14.25.38.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Mac OS are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, here the specsCaptura de Pantalla 2022-12-02 a las 15.00.18.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure this will resolve but still necessary - go to Apple System Prefs/Security and Privacy/Full Disk Access and make sure PS is in the list and checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS is not in that list. There are other adobe programs but not PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you add it and check? Did that help with the Camera Raw issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd tried it but the issue continues :S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this happen with all files? Is the Smart Object embedded or linked? If linked, can you open the linked file in Photoshop/Camera Raw?

If embedded, can you share the file(s) you're having trouble with? Post a URL to the file using CC files or dropbox, or something similar to share the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd tried with both ways. With linked and embedded photos and the problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I add it but it appears the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same issue for a while. The progress bar doesn't move and you can't cancel out of it. Oddly, it only happens about 50% of the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note: I moved to a new computer about 2 weeks ago and freshly installed Photoshop and the issue didn't resolve. It has persisted for at least a few versions of Photoshop now. The bug should be reproducable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this problem since at least 2019. It's impossible to reproduce reliably, not all smart objects cause it to freeze when opening in CR Filter. However, I do notice it freezes more frequently if the smart object includes an image with a mask.

At this point I've tried everything, and I've had 3 different computers since 2019. It's a Photoshop problem, and I doubt they'll ever fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should always mention your OS and version (exact version number, not latest or similar!).

You should also mention your current Photoshop version. That would held to reproduce the error in a similar configuration.

As you can see, OP did not react since December 2nd. It's difficult to solution, if you do not get the requested info. 

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have macOS Monterey 12.6.2 and Photoshop version is 24.1. 

Anyways, the problem it's happening to me a couple o years ago in different versions. Always with the same Macbook Pro (13-inch, 2016) but always downloading updates o software and photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you hold the Opt key and select the Camera Raw filter?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sameee 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS Monterey 12.5
Photoshop 24.1.0

I can't imagine that does much to narrow down the problem since it has been an issue for some years. However, to reiterate, I have found the CR Filter crashes more often if the Smart Object that you're opening in CR has a masked object/photo or a photo inside that is a Smart Object with CR Filter already applied. That may seem like an odd setup to stack CR Filters inside Smart Objects, but a lot of people do it for creating social media templates and so on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally found a solution that works for me. Open up Camera Raw, open the settings with the cog wheel in the upper right corner. Under "Performance" turn off "Use Graphics Processor".

Apple MacBook Pro (14" inch, 2021)

Apple M1 Max

32 Gb

Ventura 13.6 

Photoshop 25.0.0 (But I have had this problem for the last couple of big releases). Unfortunatly Camera Raw will eventually require you to have this setting turned on. Lets hope Adobe solves the problem before that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2024 Feb 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, 

I am having the exact same problem! 

Did you manage to get around this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines