• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can I save a TIFF file into a large format high resolution JPG?

Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help! I have large format TIFF files of my artwork which I need to color correct. They are so tiny I cannot see them for this purpose. Though I searched high and low, the only answer that came back was the preference for TIFF files! Of course not one said anything about how you wouldn't be able to see it so you could work on it!!! Can I save these? Can I save them into a large format high resolution JPG? When I try to do that, it makes the resolution lower.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Those are thumbnail images - not the originals. 240 px x 240 px at 300 ppi is not going to enlarge to any size printable or editable.

Go back to the original source and see if you have the original large files.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Also ".tiff" is not the standard file appendix for a tiff file. It should be .tif - where did you get these files from?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the current file/canvas size and resolution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

297x239

300 resolution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

297 px, inches, cm?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your description is confusing. The only relevant measure of size for a Photoshop file is how many pixels - or as Kevin asks, canvas size and resolution, which defines a pixel size.

TIFF and PSD are the only alternatives if you want to keep full quality of the files and preserve all properties. Jpeg is not an option here. Jpeg compression is destructive, non-reversible and cumulative. Saving to jpeg always results in slight quality loss, more so with every resave.

Resolution is only meaningful in relation to the canvas size. It is expressed as pixels per inch, which means exactly what it says: resolution = pixels / inches. It's a standard equation - if you know any two of them; the third is given.

The size on screen is another matter entirely, depending on the zoom ratio. This relates to how many screen pixels are used to represent each image pixel. At 100% it's 1:1, one image pixel to one physical screen pixel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

297 what? inches? centimeters? pixels?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it is inches. It doesn't say on the EXIF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I guess we are both confused! I have these tiny photos (the way they appear to me) that are large format yet whenever I try to enlarge them on my screen they lose quality. I need to work on them in Lightroom and in Photoshop however I cannot see the details. When I tried to save them in another format so I can actually see them, the option for pixels is greyed out and it uses inches instead. I know absolutely zippo about any of this so forgive me if I sound confusing. I am only trying to use what is supposed to be the best format. These will be printed after I color correct and do touch ups. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Photoshop Image/Image Size and take a screen capture of that window and post it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! photoshop 2022-09-30 at 5.40.03 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are thumbnail images - not the originals. 240 px x 240 px at 300 ppi is not going to enlarge to any size printable or editable.

Go back to the original source and see if you have the original large files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also ".tiff" is not the standard file appendix for a tiff file. It should be .tif - where did you get these files from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My photographer. I guess she is messing around with me then? She sent them twice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when she send the correct ones then, what should I be looking for? What size are they supposed to be in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2022 Oct 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You just need a sufficient pixel size, say, 4000-6000 pixels long side (or above). That should print fine in most scenarios.

The print size limit depends on the pixel size, and the pixel density you define with the ppi number.

I suggest you sit down and come to terms with the concept of pixels per inch (ppi). It's much simpler and more straightforward than most people think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found it. It says 300 Pixels per inch in the resolution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines