• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can Photoshop change the background of a PDF file, so that the result can be printed?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a number of PDF documents, some 100 pages,  which I want to print out. However the background when printed is much too dark. I have searched among PDF Editing programs for one which will change the background of a file, without success.  I am also looking a Photo editing programs. Does anyone know if Adobe Photoshop can change the Background of a PDF File (change to white, or even neutral or transparent.? I would appreciate any information and help on this

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Edmund5F9C Without seeing your document's content, it's hard to tell. Do the pages have mostly text over this dark background? Charts? Images? Using Photoshop to work on 100 pages might be very cumbersome, if it's even possible. You can only lighten a background (i.e., curve adjustments) so much without affecting the entire page. Maybe you could select and mask the content, page by page, or possibly use a script if the pages are similar enough. Using Acrobat Pro DC, you may be able to edit the elements on the page and copy them to a new PDF. You might also convert to Word or text and then re-export as a new PDF. If you are able to share some sample pages, that might bring you more suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jain has some good ideas, but without seeing a page or two we can only guess.

• Is there an background image that can be deleted using the Edit tool in Acrobat?
  • Is it scanned text with a darkish background?
  • Something else?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an example of a PDF File which I have just created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a scan of the page when I print it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Edmund5F9C How are you creating the PDF file of the dictionary pages? Are these scans or photographs you are assembling into a new PDF? What type of printer are you exporting to? Your PDF print settings may be able to adjust the overall brightness and contrast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just learned that the background of a PDF file has no colour - it is Blank. My issue then is whether I can install a white background into this Blank which will not block out the Typescript
Edmund

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not with a PDF file. In Photoshop, you can only do this if the type layer is transparent. I think your only options are to rescan the pages and use better scanning settings, or try to adjust the brightness and contrast settings on your printer or page-by-page in Photoshop one at a time or with a script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your advice. By the way the PDF Files were in fact photographed and then converted from JPG into PDF . Does this make any difference? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, it would make a difference. A lot depends on how the pages were photographed. What type of equipment and lighting conditions were used? Also, if the jpg files weren't color corrected before being converted to PDFs, then the output may shift. Still, if you are happy with how the PDFs look on your screen, but are unhappy with the printed pages, then you should look into trying different printer settings or different printers altogether.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks again. I'll look into the printer suggestion. If I strike gold I'll let you know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines