• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't apply image?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I'm trying to follow a tutorial on frequency separation in photoshop cc 2018 and I need to 'Apply Image' but it's greyed out in the Image drop down... How can I bring it back?

help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

It looks like your layer is a smart object. Apply image is not possible on a smart object.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you actually selected the relevant target layer? What else? A more detailed explanations and screenshots would probably help to clarify.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I've got the correct layer selected. I'm not the best when it comes to photoshop so I bet it's staring me right in the face!

Ok so the tutorial says to duplicate the background layer twice, hide the top layer and place a Gaussian blur on the middle layer.

Then, make the top layer visible again, select it and hit Apply Image.

I've tried it at least 4 times now closing and re opening new images and 'Apply Image' remains grey each time.

That's all I can tell you! I'll attach a screeen shot too.

Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 3.11.55 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am WAY past this. BUT I was trying to do the same thing and I figured it out!

You have to use the blank layer created, drop in your image, select the blank layer, go to "image" hit "apply image"

then in the new menu select the image you imported and it will change that layer to the new image, duplicate that and hit apply image. BINGO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like your layer is a smart object. Apply image is not possible on a smart object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a similar issue but my layer is not a smart object, I'm able to select "Apply Image" use settings, blending mode: substract at 2 scale and offset 128 but it will just turn all my layer gray... it will not show the details like in the video I'm following. Here the screenshot:

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same problem, Edgar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK... amazingly, when I deleted the high frequency layer and made a new one, repeated the "Apply Image" process... it worked as it should. Quite strange. I don't know what is actually going wrong but it's a doable work around until I find out.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

what is the high frequency layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure your layer isn't "Merged," but the layer that you've blurred, in your case, it'll be called Low.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case anyone else runs into this one of the first things to check is that you are not editing in Quick Mask mode.  You can only Apply Image if you are not in quick mask mode.  (Ask me how I know this :-P)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even I had this issue and thanks to your comment. Quick Mask was the culprit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are the man, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you deselect (CTRL + D [PC]).

When making a frequency separation action i noticed I had set selection from using the lasso tool, if i removed apply image from the action it worked, rechecked apply image and unchecked set selection (from using the lasso tool) it worked and successfully applied image.

Tl;Dr- You cannot apply image with a section of the image selected i.e. lasso tool/marquee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines