• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't change system color profile under Windows 11, all of a sudden?

Enthusiast ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going in circles, all of a sudden. What should be a mundane task, all of a sudden is turning into a little nightmare. I don't suppose there is a "fail-safe" way to change the default system profile on Windows 11? I'm always using the good old "Color Management" Control Panel to change system profile, for Photoshop, but this time, it is not working anymore. 

I restarted Windows many times to no avail. I disabled anything that would have to do with "monitors" at system startup. As a hint, I found some profile to load successfully like :
Wide Gamut RGB.icc or SMPTE-C.icc but not AdobeRGB1998.icc or Apple Wide Color Sharing Profile.icm.

Any help is appreciated. See attached PDF for screen captures.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for the "hell of it", I fired up i1Profiler 3.5.0 on my Win 11 system. Went through the motion to create a base monitor profile. Saved the profile at the end, did not get any error message whatsoever. I attached a screen capture which shows the profile was successfully added by the i1Profiler application (behind the scene) and "associated" with my "Device".
This is encouraging "progress"... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure it's not simply the same profile? Profiles have "internal" and "external" names, and they can be quite different.

Are you using a calibrator to make these profiles? Normally you don't need to load them here, the calibration software will do it for you. Changing profiles randomly is not something you should do, because the profile needs to describe the actual and current state of the monitor. That's why the software builds and loads the profile immediately after the calibration is finished.

If the profile doesn't correspond to the actual calibration targets, Photoshop can't display correctly.

EDIT: wrote that before your second post appeared, but that only confirms it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so very much for your help and suggestions.

It's really complicated, all of a sudden.

I fired up my old Windows7 box and even there, I wasn't able to designate a profile of my choice as the 'system profile'. 

(I swear I always did this with complete impunity, Mac or PC)

I happen to know my way very well with color management (www.graxx.ca), I teach this stuff and have been consulting professionnally for years. I never thought I'd have to roll up my sleeves to get into programming but, if that's what it takes to get to the bottom of this (on Windows), well, I don't have a 'quick fix' otherwise. And I don't think it's a matter of "reinstalling the OS". I tried the same procedure over on a SurfacePro running Win11 and got pretty much the same result? One thing I noticed, over on the Win7 box is that the profile first needs to be "associated" with the device... From then on, there can be dozens of ICC profiles associated with the device and Windows will then allow switching back and forth between each one, pretty much the same way the System Preferences > Display > Color does under OSX. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked your screenshots again. When you click Add Profile, you next click "Browse". Why do you do that? It shuld be enough to select the profile and OK. Then it should be added to the main list.

All these profiles should already be in System32 > spool > drivers > color. If they aren't, copy them there.

The way it looks to me, you're trying to install a profile. But it's already installed, so nothing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "list" that populates upon opening the Color management Control panel represent the profiles "associated" with the device (i.e. the monitor). See attached screenshot. On Mac OSX, the way to add to this list is drag profiles into the ColorSync folder (user or system) or when a color profiling application saves a newly created profile onto the folder automatically. On Windows, it's not enough that the profile sits in the "Color" directory : if it's not 'associated' with the device, for some reason, then it's up to the user to "browse" to the profile to select it. Currently, X-Rite i1Profiler not only calibrates and profile my display correctly but it also :

1. installs the profile for me;
  2. associate it with the monitor;
  3. make it the default system profile.

Which is the problem I'm running into, to the best of my knowledge, I suppose, into using DisplayCal : as far as I can tell, it installs the profile (because it appears in the Color directory) but an error occurs when either 'associating' the profile with the device.

I read on DisplayCal support forum that the problem has to do with Windows 11, apparently? 

Thanks for your kind help and encouragements 🙂

I had to dig into the system calls for the exact instructions but I feel a little rusted, programmingwise... 

Rest assured that the monit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, got it. Apparently there's some incompatibility between DisplayCal and Win 11.

I do know that there was an initial problem with Eizo Colornavigator, but that has been resolved. I think that also had to do with failing to load the profile correctly, but I don't know how related these two issues are/were. I'm still on Win 10, so I didn't pay very close attention. I just forgot about it when it was reported fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried installing and browsing to a freshly created DisplayCal profile on one my Win 10 machine, to no avail? I need to spend more testing time --- noooooooooo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested dispwin.exe, the argyll utility responsible for installing and activating monitor profiles and got this message:

C:\Argyll\bin>dispwin -v -I RB_U4320Q_2022-06-29.icm
About to open dispwin object on the display
About to install 'RB_U4320Q_2022-06-29.icm' as display's default profile
Dispwin: Error - Failed to install profile 'RB_U4320Q_2022-06-29.icm'!

You see? I'm not entirely sure the problem lies with DisplayCal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not, if the i1 profiles work as they should? And if DisplayCal profiles won't work on Win 10 either?

Are these LUT profiles? Try matrix. LUT is known to cause all kinds of strange problems in a lot of different contexts.

Other than that, I think a Windows 11 user would have to pick up on this. I can't think of any other reason this shouldn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My take is that the profile type, LUT vs Matrix/TRC, matters little as the i1profiler montior profile I generated were all LUT profiles. You see? 

I have yet to try dispwin.exe on a Win 10 box...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to remember what the issue was with Eizo ColorNavigator and Windows 11, because it sounds vaguely similar (failure to load the profile correctly).

There was a notice on the Eizo site, but that issue is fixed and the notice taken down now.

But what I think, or seem to remember, is that Microsoft had to make some small changes, and then Eizo had to make some small changes, and then it worked.

Have you tried to update DisplayCal? How often do they offer updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried running it as administrator ?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the issue that D Fosse referred to, profiles could be installed but were not being passed through to applications. Microsoft resolved that in an update to Windows 11.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the latest Win11 build 22000.778. I'll keep checking... Thanks for your suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have tried to run DisplayCal as an Administrator. To no avail 😞
It may be my choice of "profile selection options" such as XYX LUT or Matrix/TRC? I got the attention of the developper and he asked me to send him the profile in question for him to take a look at. It's not like I don't have "alternatives", I mean, i1Profiler creates perfectly valid monitor profiles as well as basICColor Display. But DisplayCal is like a "laboratory"...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2022 Jul 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Roger, you are referring to the Display Profile, right? I think although Apple call that a "System profile" I thought Microsoft called it a "Display Profile" [My Device is the Display, right?]? 

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines