• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't change the weight of variable fonts after update to 25.0

New Here ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to change the font weight, only a few letters have their weight replaced. First, this happened on Photoshop Beta version, but I updated both of the versions at the same time, and after trying it in the current Photoshop version (v25.0), the same problem happens.

signow88584364_0-1695040966655.png

Even the font preview shows it bugged. (Only the L in "Sample" changing weight)

signow88584364_1-1695041020585.png

The letters affected change when I try it on the canvas, but it's still the same problem. I didn't test a lot of fonts, but the fonts that have this problem are Raleway and Outfit, both from Google Fonts. From what I've seen from other people's posts, a lot of people using fonts from Google Fonts are having this problem. We really need a way to fix this.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2023 Sep 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@J E L I can confirm this as well, Photoshop v25.0 on Windows 11

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, guys.

So, i've just update to the latest Photoshop version (27.0).

But i saw an error on displaying my fonts. To be more specific, the Red Hat Display font.

Photoshop doesn't render the bold and/or the black weights (see print screen). Only some letters gets the new weight.

I've tried everything i could find on the internet. I deleted the font from my computer, install a new version, downgrade Photoshop to 25.0, cleared Photoshop font cache and all of that. Nothing works.

By the way, the print screen is from the 25.0 version (technically, this version were working fine, but not now).

Can someone help me? This thing is making me crazy right now.

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify: i messed up the versions numbers: The current PS version is 25. I downgraded to the previous 24.7.1.

And yes, i'm still having the issue with the typeface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until Adobe fixes the bug, reinstall version 24.7 to fix the issue. Do not install version 24.7.1. That version is also bugged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have the same problem, when I try to change the font weight, only a few of the letters have their weight replaced. 

signow88584364_0-1695040966655.png

Even the font preview shows it bugged. (Only the L in "Sample" changing weight)

signow88584364_1-1695041020585.png

The letters affected change when I try it on the canvas, but it's still the same problem. All fonts that I've tried have this problem. It's not only in Beta, but in the current Photoshop version as well. (v25.0). I've updated them both at the same time, and now I really don't know what to do. Can i revert to a previous version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@J E L Yes, I confirmed Sculpin Variable font has the issue. Adobe team is working on the issue now. In the meantime, please use static version of the Sculpin fonts that are available from Adobe Fonts. Thanks for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2023 Sep 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour, j'écris ce message, car j'ai un problème sur l'une de mes police. J'utilise la police Outfit et avant elle fonctionnait normalement mais maintenant dès que j'augmente la graisse, certaines lettre deviennent plus grasse et d'autre devienne toute fine. Étrangement, sur Illustrator la police et toute ses graisse fonctionne très bien.

Je vous mets deux capture d'écran une sur illustrator et l'autre sur photoshop.

Je serais ravi si vous avez une solution.

Merci d'avance

Hello, I am writing this message because I have a problem with one of my fonts. I use the Outfit font and before it worked normally but now as soon as I increase the weight, some letters become bolder and others become very thin. Strangely, on Illustrator the font and all its weights work very well.

I have provided you with two screenshots, one in Illustrator and the other in Photoshop.

I would be delighted if you have a solution.

Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 26, 2023 Sep 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Photoshop 25.0 has an issue with some variable fonts. Adobe is aware of the issue and working on the fix. In the meantime, please use static (non-variable) version of the font. Thank you for your support and patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just having this same issue with Montserrat in Photoshop. I uninstalled the font from Adobe Fonts, and deleted it from Font Book, then re-downloaded it from Google Fonts, added it to Font Book, but only the static version, not the variable font version. And now it works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been going back and forth with Adobe on this variable font issue regarding a Monotype variable font for many weeks and they finally closed the case saying that there's nothing wrong with PS and that the type foundry needs to update the font in order to work within the new versions of PS. Not sure if I 100% believe it, but thought I'd share what I heard with you all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I tried your solution and it also works for me so thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here with v25, but with Montserrat font from Google Fonts. 

Just needed to fix one typo of a project, and now I have to install a previous version just to do that. Reinstalling the font didn't help me.

Shame, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you find this issue with a variable font, look for the static (non-variable) version of the font. Chances are you can find it on-line. Montserrat font has static version of the font available for download. Adobe is aware of the issue and working on the fix. It may take sometime to ensure the quality of the fix. Thanks again for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found something that solved the problem for me.

I needed to clear the font cache in the Adobe folder and the fonts started working normally again. But before that, I reinstalled the fonts that were causing the problem a few times and tested other ways to solve the problem, perhaps this had some impact on the result. The folder is in "C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2024" and you must delete the "CT Font Cache" folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this issue with Spartan. Spartan.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, the issue also exists in InDesign. See here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2023 Oct 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also not able to change my text to bold weight, it still stays in the light weight font.

League spartan font is not wokring properly in Photoshop.

Please Resolve this Problem Adobe Team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2023 Oct 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This exact issue is happening for me with Lexend and Montserrat.

The time added to projects because of this bug is absurrrrrrrd!

Weight will not change. Sometimes some letters are a bigger weight. Tried in Photoshop '24 and '23 - same problems.

The font is working just fine in Illustrator. So far.

Redownloading and reinstalling Lexend didn't work.

Glad the subscription price hike is bringing us such rad improvements!!! Grrrr 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 21, 2023 Oct 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since version 24.7 (also v25), the variable font feature has had a problem with some fonts. Heavy (weight) appears as thin! I have no problem with this font in other apps! This font had no problem in previous versions (before v24.7).

(see the video attachment)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it just that font? I've just tried several variable fonts here (not the one you are using) and they are working as expected

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TenTin 

The Photoshop Team is aware of this issue with some variable fonts, although IRANSansXVF has not been reported yet.

See this primary thread (in Photoshop Beta)

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-beta-bugs/p-error-with-variable-fonts-in-photoshop/idc-p/14...

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davescm Thanks. I'm not sure if this has something to do with just the RTL fonts (here, Persian). It doesn't have a problem with all variable fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jane-e Thanks. I'll go for it (the link)...👍🏻

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TenTin 

Are you using the Beta or the released version of Photoshop? 

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines