• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with Variable font weights.

Enthusiast ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Photoshop issue reported here: "Can't change the-weight of variable fonts after update" seems to be affecting InDesign 19 as well.

Some variable fonts works as expected, but for some, the  font displays at a lighter weight (perhaps regular?) when the weight is set for anything heavier than about 750. It appears that the heavier weight's metrics are used. 

In my my limited test, the weight prints properly.

I'm on a  27-inch, iMac 2020, Mac OS 13.5.1, InD 19.

Examples:

Screen Shot Antique No 6.pngScreen Shot Job.png

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Enthusiast , Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Bug posted here.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

The fix has been promised for the next udate, that just hase tropped, but the bug is still remaining.

According to one type engineer in my network, the bug appears, when one hase an intermediate maseter, next to the Thin––Regular––Thick . For example: Thin––Regular––Intermdiate––Thick.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same/similar issue in InDesign. Seems evident on variable weights above 600. I'm using Effra CC VF.

All of my templates are breaking because of this and casuing quite a problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On further inspection, it's fine up to 700 weight. After 700 fonts get thinner instead of thicker up to 900.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi together,

best report the issues as bugs at Adobe InDesign UserVoice:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs

If you already did please share the link to the report so that everyone reading this can upvote for fixing the bug.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bug posted here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix has been promised for the next udate, that just hase tropped, but the bug is still remaining.

According to one type engineer in my network, the bug appears, when one hase an intermediate maseter, next to the Thin––Regular––Thick . For example: Thin––Regular––Intermdiate––Thick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2023 Nov 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another patch without fixing the issue. 19.0.1 is still broken. 😩

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to the odd weight mix on screen display or the incorrect spacing for bolder faces on variable fonts in 2024, variable fonts do not outline correctly. The outlined objects do not create compound paths correctly for character elements that join (example: bottom bar of lower case e crosses over onto spine of letter) causing effect and trap errors. Bug has been reported.

This appears to be deeper issues with VWF's than just display and weight choices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just discovered this today. Very annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines