• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't draw a simple horizontal dashed line with Line tool or any other way. Please help!

Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to draw a simple 2 pixel hieght horizontal dashed line as a separator for a promotional graphic. Help insturcts me to use the line tool. I tried once and the dashed line was active until I saved the file and then it saved it as a solid line 😞

I tired another time but every time I try to draw the line it keeps inserting a height of 59 pixels after I set it to 2 pixels. Over and over. I can't get it to create a simple 2 pixel high dashed line. How can something so simple be this complicated? The Help video only shows you how to create a line with an arrow. I'm at the end of my wits trying to do this on deadline. Ugh! So disappointed. It never used to be this hard with older versions.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using the Pen Tool. Set Fill to None, Stroke to desired color and Weight and finally set stroke to Dashed from Stroke Options drop-down. Click then Shift click one more time for straight line.

dashed line photoshop.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. This was helpful. I misread it at first and tried it with the Line tool. For some odd reason it still keeps defaulting to 59 px for the height (even though I deselected Link Shape Width and Height). I think by disabling the fill, it let me change the size in the Properties window. It still had marching ants but when I pressed Command D the marching ants stopped.

I then re-read your post and went back and tried it with the Pen tool. It also worked but I had to Shift click the end point to "close" the line and Command Return to view it. From there I could play wth the stroke size for different effects.

Any tips on how to create a custom dashed or dotted line? Is there a standard for setting dashes and gaps? I just did some random sequences but can't really tell how to create more space between the dashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select line then click on Set shape stroke type in the Options bar (1). Click on More options (2). Type Dash and Gap (3) then confirm on OK (4)

create custom dashed line.jpg

If you want to save dashed line for later use, save it into library by clicking on (+) sign then choose Graphic.

save line in library.jpg

When you want to use it right click on dashed line in Libraries and chose Place layers.

place layers from library.jpg

After placing layer you can customize length, width, pattern, color....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, @faluna did you try resetting the line tool? in the option bar, right-click on its icon, and select "Reset tool".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines