Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Can't edit in photoshop from lightroom CC classic

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Edit in Photoshop" operation in Lightroom Classic CC no longer works correctly with the most recent update.  It doesn't matter if I say "Edit in Photoshop" or "Open as a smart object".

Photoshop starts up successfully, and also loads my photo (.CR2 or .DNG, I've tried both).  However, once I'm there nothing works.  All the image editing menu items are grayed out, and I can't actually make any edits.  Other weird things:  if I zoom in, the Ctrl-0 keyboard shortcut no longer works either.  I'm sure there are other wierdnesses as well.

If I open the files directly from photoshop I get the camera raw pop up, and then everything works normally.  It only goes bad when I edit from Lightroom.

My Lightroom build is 1193777.  My Photoshop is 20.0.1.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Nov 18, 2018 Nov 18, 2018
This post in the Photoshop Family forum discusses the issue in detail.

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem however, if I go to the Adobe folder and launch photoshop.exe first then select photoshop to edit from lightroom then everything works correctly.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Martin.  At least that helps me workaround the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2018 Nov 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue running on two Windows machines since the last update.

I've not tried using a RAW file yet, but opening a JPEG, you have three options for editing in Photoshop:

• Edit with Lightroom Adjustments
  • Edit a Copy
  • Edit the original.

In my case, it works if I "Edit a Copy," or "Edit Original," but not "Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments."

On both machines, Lightroom Classic and Photoshop are current, as is Windows 10.

The work-around to open Photoshop first seems to work on my Windows machines too. Thanks Martin.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 18, 2018 Nov 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post in the Photoshop Family forum discusses the issue in detail.

Kenneth Seals

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

The reason why it will not let you edit it in Photoshop from Lightroom is because you most likely are working with the preview and not the original photo,

Rightclick on the photo you are trying to edit in Photoshop, and click on "Show in Explorer". If it says that photo cannot be found...Point to the proper location of the photo, and it will load the original location in Lightroom.

Then you should be able to edit it in Photoshop...hope this helps!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that's not accurate. I never work on previews so it's not likely at all.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what does the ... More supposed to do on a post? I get a white oval and that's it even with a prolonged hover.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Little empty Adobe thought balloons.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it has helped. I had changed the name of the folder with the photos in Explorer and had to relocate it in LR !

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FEDBACK: Please do not mark a thread as SOLVED if it doesn't have the answers easily available and in lay man's terms and not a nother thread to click into and get lost in a rabbit hole. Also, everyone using Lightroom isn't a hardcore techie.

SOLUTION that worked for me and might for some others too (I use the latest Windows OS on my laptop and my Adobe Apps are always up to date):

Check if the drive you are editing off of is currently being read or not.

If not, reconnect the drive and even if both LR and PS were already open, the menu options should now no longer be greyed out.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines