Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can’t edit on a layer

New Here ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

New to PS and I'm trying to edit on a layer.  I select add layer, select the layer, select a brush and nothing happens when I go to make the edit.  Adjustment layers seem to be fine.  I can apply edit to the background but not the layer.  Can anyone help me out? Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Could you please share the following information with us

• OS version
  • Photoshop version
  • Are you sure, layer is not locked?

Also, did you try resetting your preferences from Preferences -> General -> Reset Preferences on Quit (as in screenshot)

Screenshot 2020-05-27 at 11.36.50 PM.png

or you can Reset the preferences by following steps on the below link

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Let us know if this works for you.

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP says they are a new user. As such it is a little early to recommend a preference reset. Let us see what a screenshot of the layers panel, toolbar and options bar look like first.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Beth,

• What kind of layer is it? A pixel layer, adjustment layer, type layer, or ?
  • What is the opacity and blending mode of the layer?
  • What settings do you have in the options bar? What blending mode? What opacity? What size brush?
  • What color are you painting with?

If you don't know the answers, that's okay. Show us the panels the c_p asked for, and we'll be able to see it. Hold off on resetting preferences, as you may not need to.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Umm, not sure about everything you asked.  Here's a screenshot to start.  Thanks!

bethd93680341_0-1590604118100.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You are using the Healing Brush (a very large one). Type "B" for the Brush tool and try that.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hurray for screenshots! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Okay, the brushes seem to work (maybe) but in the tutorial I'm following I was trying to remove the bit of headboard.  When I select the healing tool, it doesn't work.  Sometimes I can see it being selected and then it just stays the same, other times after I use the healing took, the selection goes away entirely.  I can't figure it out!  Does the pen pressure alert icon have anything to do with it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the Tool set to »Sample All Layers«? 

I don’t use the »Narrow Options Bar«, so I am not familiar with those icons. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

• If this is the part you are trying to remove, then your brush size of 275 is too big. Make it smaller.
    jane-e_0-1590608833235.png
  • Same as c_p, I don't use the Narrow options bar, which is designed for small screens. You can turn it off here: Edit > Preferences > Interface >  Narrow Options Bar. Note that you will need to restart.
    jane-e_1-1590609075929.png

• If you enable Sample All Layers, the edits will show up on your new layer, leaving the original untouched. This is known as "non-destructive editing". You should be able to find Sample All Layers by using the Screen Tips. This is what it looks like without the narrow options bar.
    jane-e_2-1590609288999.png

Try this, and then lets look at the other issues. You mentioned a selection. Are you making one? With which tool?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that did it!!!  I was wondering how to see those words that were showing on the tutorial (content aware, etc.)  I would never have figured this out without your help.  Thanks everyone!!  I'm sure this won't be my last question. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are welcome, Beth. We are happy to help.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines