• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't get Select, Modify, Contract to work on a layer

New Here ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm editing a Photoshop graphic as i need to contract a layer. When I first did this graphic I had no problem selecting, modifying and contracting the layers. Now a few days later I have opened the file and when I select a layer (specifically the Cut Area) and select, modify, contract....the marching ants do contract but then I can't apply that contraction and it just reverts back to the original size.

I'm fairly new to Photoshop so I'm hoping it's just something straightforward that I'm not doing!

TIA

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you apply the Selection as a Layer Mask? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so, I'm using a template provided by a lasercutting company so the layers are preset, I then add my artwork to each layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I am not sure what you mean. 

You have Layers, you have a Selection – what are you trying to do exactly with them now? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I select the layer and I want to contract the size slightly so I go to Modify, Contract ( 2 pixels) and hit OK. So the selection with the marching ants shows the contracted size but it doesn't actually fix it at that size...the original size remains under the marching ants and I can't get it to go to the same size as the marching ants. Something is stopping me from applying the edits but I can't work out what.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you talking about? 

Selections and Layers are two separate things, so contracting the Selection has no bearing on the Layer. 

Unless you apply the Selection as a Layer Mask (Layer > Layer Mask > Reveal Selection). 

Edit: … or delete or use the Eraser Tool … but naturally a Layer Mask is pereferable because it does not cause loss of the Layer’s original data. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, sounds like I'm doing the wrong method. In the screenshot I am going in to the layer named 'Cut Area' where there is a silhouette of a swallow..I wish to contract the size of the swallow by 2 pixels...is this possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have mentioned Layer Masks repeatedly.

Will you please apply the contracted Selection as a Layer Mask already? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wrong tool. "Select > modify > contract" is for contracting a selection - not the pixel content in it.

What you want is "edit > transform > scale". Specify in pixels or %, or just drag the handles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Filters Maximum and Minimum will also affect a Layer’s transparent areas, but as they also affect the pixels’ colors I don’t think they are what the OP had in mind. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines