• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can't open some .exr

Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, in the last weeks I'm having some trouble opening some .exr files.

Both clicking to open and dragging the file in Photoshop, the program can't open it:

"could not complete your request because of a program error"

I thought I solved the problem by uninstalling any Adobe software on my pc, Adobe Cloud included.

I cleaned everything with Adobe Cleaner Tool and reinstalled Photoshop, but after a few hours I had the same program error.

I have another pc with the same operating system and the same Photoshop version (Windows 10 Pro + 20.0.1)

It can open the same files whitout any issue.

Please help me find a solution..

Best Regards,

Martina

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

Have you tried installing a previous version like 19.1.7 to see if you get the same error

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Martina

Try deleting the Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Prefs.psp file from this location

C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings

You may need to enable this option in file explorer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou for your answer, unfortunately just tried but it does not work.

Same error

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried installing a previous version like 19.1.7 to see if you get the same error

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, already tryed, but I fear that there is something written in some file that will non be deleted or overwritten installing a previous version.

I'm going to uninstall everything again and install 19.1.7 with no other version already installed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, it worked, with 19.1.7 but only unistalling any Adobe software, running the Adobe Cleaner and installig the old version.

Thankyou and let's hope it will keep on working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue from time to time with large .exr files from 3DS max (~70mb). I generally export 10 channels in .exr to use in photoshop. Once in a while one of the .exr's refuse to open giving me this error: "Could not place “.exr” because of a program error."

It seems somewhat random, and I can't pinpoint the source of the issue. I have tried everything mentioned in other threads for similar issues. My workaround is to open the file in AE and export it as a png with alpha intact, which works but is annoying. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, can you tell me the process of using after effects to get this pescky exr map to open in photoshopo

thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you just import it to AE as you would import any other file (drag it to the project window). Then make a new composition from it, and export (add to render queue.) Render as a png sequence with a length of 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the EXR-IO plug in?

https://www.exr-io.com/

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way for Someone Else to mark a correct answer? Because installing an Old version of the software is a Really crappy workaround. This is still a workaround, but it's better than Adobe's solution will ever be, so I'd say this is the preferred method. 

This is likely a bug, and Adobe should get their act together and make it so it can open large EXR files. But if you're using exr, you should probably be using a plugin that makes exr more useful, like the free one you're linking to. 

So I really wish someone would change the "correct" answer to this one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While my .exr file was 'only' 6.3GB and a 625MP big it worked like a charm! Thanks, Adobe could learn from that plug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot! It works perfectly))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Dave!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines