Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Select Clipping Mask Layers with Ctrl Click

New Here ,
Dec 27, 2017 Dec 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

Since updating to the latest version of Photoshop CC, I have a problem that I can't figure out how to fix (and it is probably simple).

When using the Move Tool, I used to be able to Ctrl Click on any part of my image that is a Clipping Mask layer and it would highlight the Clipping Mask layer in the Layers panel. Now when I Ctrl Click on anything that is part of a Clipping Mask layer, it only chooses the base layer - the one everything is clipped to (sorry I may not be using the proper terms here )

Auto-Select is not checked and I have chosen "layer" from the dropdown. How can I fix this? My workflow is slowing by having to go search through the layers panel to choose the clipping mask layer I want to work with rather than being able to select clipping mask layers with a ctrl click.

I appreciate any help with this!!

Thanks,

Amy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Dec 27, 2017 Dec 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone else that has used this method will need to help. As it is escaping me at the moment. But from what I recall ctrl-click (on windows or cmd-click on mac) is suppose to select the entire layer, then in the layer it self you ctrl-click on the image thumbnail to create a selection of the image or what is visible. Ctrl-click the mask thumbnail to create a selection from the mask.

Perhaps I don't work enough with clipping masks - if I am way off base, I apologize.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2017 Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not about selection - it's about choosing the layer that is clipped to another layer. I go the same problem with CC 2018 on my mac((( For example, I want to choose layer 12 or 13 and I click on visible parts of my work with cmnd/cntrl (autoselect layer), but it still selects only the base Layer 6. Extremely annoying((((

Снимок экрана 2017-12-29 в 18.08.07.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.. Anyone knows a fix to that? Please help guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem too. This is the second issue that i am facing after using CC. Think i have to downgrade to CS6. Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem here, and kind of figured out where this bug is coming from:

If you have multiple layers affected by the Clipping Mask, if any of those layers have visibility turned off, you can no longer control-click any of the masked layers above that one that has the visibility turned off (but can usually control-click masked layers that are BELOW the one with the visibility off).

Definitely a bug with Photoshop, and really messes up my workflow.  Really annoying having to pay a monthly subscription for software that we can't use and have to constantly downgrade until updates are eventually rolled out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, just tried what Flipline said aswell and get the same bug. If all layers are visible, clipped layers are selectable.

But if any are hidden, I can only select the base layer.

Super annoying and definitely slows the workflow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem it's SUPER annoying, Adobe, what is wrong? This used to work in previous versions!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated will test and send feedback !

Thanks,

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

I just tested this with the newest update and the bug is still there.
Greetings,
Marco

Renault Nissan Design Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the newest photoshop cc 2019 just released?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. Any answers... anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue now since I've upgraded to 2019. Worked fine on 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've the same issue. I've found a little tweak to that situation. If you want to select the layers which are clipped, you could move the invisible layers to the top of all clipped layers, you may select the ones that lies under them by ctrl-click or auto-select function as usual. Hope it help someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What I've figured out is you cannot auto-select any of masked layers in case the mask layer is locked. So the solution is to unlock the master layer an then you can work as usual. I hope it's the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines