• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't use space bar to move marquee while resizing

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since upgrading to CC version I've lost a functionality that I really use a lot...the ability to move my selection in the elliptical marquee tool with the space bar. I used to be able to make a round marquee selection, then move it right into the position I want by pushing the space bar while still sizing it at the same time. This no longer works. How can I now move the marquee WHILE sizing it? I know I can make a selection, then go and move that selection, but I need to be able to simultaneously resize AND move it into position at once, which the space bar used to do for me. 😞 Please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works fine here (Photoshop 20.0.4 on MacOS 10.12.6).

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far?

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did try the "rest all tools" option and that did not fix it. 😞  I'm using Photoshop CC 2019 on Mac OS 10.14.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you restore the Preferences completely?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure...I did "reset all tools." Is there some other method to restore all preferences? I'm not sure why I would even need to restore anything...I literally JUST upgraded to CC2019 and haven't changed any preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you even read post 1 and followed the Link?

edited

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Um...wow. No I don't have a problem taking advice...that is why I am here asking for advice! I just was trying to wrap my head around why something would need restoring, when the software is brand new, that's all. Yikes.  And yes, I did follow the link in post 1 above and tried that...which I replied to also above...the link took me to the steps to "reset all tools" and as I mentioned, I did that and nothing changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is also a part titled »Restore Preferences«, did you do that?

Edit:

retorePreferences.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preferences files can get corrupted, then they can cause malfunctions and need to be restored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2019 Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm having the same problem. Did you ever find a fix for this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem here with 21.1.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find a fix? This was working yesterday, it's driving me nuts. I use this all the time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any solution on this? I have the same problem on Mac with PS 22.1.0.

Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and now it works again...

I do not know what I did but never mind!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restarting my computer fixed the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am using 24.0.1 on macOS Monterey12.6 and this happens sometimes. The Marquee tool will select but I cannot reposition it by holding the space bar. Quitting the App does not fix it. Rebooting fixes it until it appears again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines