• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot find CS6 autorecovery file to remove, keeps opening on launch

Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2012 Aug 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to delete an AutoRecovery file (.psb) in CS6, it keeps opening on launch. I can't find it on my computer to save my life. I have tried saving the file in various places to see if it takes care of it and it does not. Apparently, it is supposed to be in:

Mac HD/users/me/library/application support/Adobe/Photoshop CS6/Autorecovery

There is not an AutoRecovery folder or .psb file anywhere to be seen in the Photoshop or Adobe library folders, and I have looked everywhere. I have a brand new imac w/ OS x. I have tried searching everywhere for the file and folder, even in places that make no sense. I have searched my entire computer, even visually looking in every folder.

I have read a few message boards and apparently the file should be where it is supposed to be (file path above) and deleting it will solve this issue, but I cannot find it.

Help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, but just where is that folder? That's a big part of my problem. I don't see where you set it under preferences. I just see the checkbox under file handling to select if it auto saves or not. My scratch is set to Mac hd.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On PC it in with the user's Application Data location depend on which version of Windows the user is running.  So on an Mack it may well depend on which Apple Unix version is being run by you.  I have not touched a Unix version of a Mac only ran Mac on old Apple OS. Apple could not do it so Steve switch over to Unix which he found very good  for his Next company.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your only scratch disk is the Mac boot drive then the autorecovery folder should be:

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS6/AutoRecover

Finder search relies on Spotlight.

The folders and files in your user Library are not indexed by Spotlight, therefore a Finder search will not reveal the AutoRecover folder or the mystery file.

Use Shift+Cmd+G in Finder to get the Go To Folder dialogue.

Paste in the path above then hit the Go button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, I understand that. What I'm saying is its not there even when I navigate directly to it. When I say "search" I also meant manually clicking through every folder looking for what should be there, but isn't, not just literally a spot light search.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alleycat1981 wrote:

Right, I understand that. What I'm saying is its not there even when I navigate directly to it. When I say "search" I also meant manually clicking through every folder looking for what should be there, but isn't, not just literally a spot light search.

Sent from my iPhone

I don't think you've read much of my post. I told you to Use Go To Folder to get to the folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome!

A couple of good search utilities that'll locate files not indexed by Spotlight are:

EasyFind http://www.devontechnologies.com/download/products.html

FindAnyFile http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this same issue, and these instructions finally solved it.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2014 Dec 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Worked like a charm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2015 May 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same problem, and this fixed it. Couldn't navigate to the folder manually, but using Go To worked. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 23, 2015 Jul 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this.  I have had these 2 auto recovered files opening every single time for the past 7 months, and i finally got rid of them thanks to your post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2015 Aug 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked like a charm thank you for the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2015 Aug 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for just giving the answer straight and simple!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2017 Feb 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this was the answer for this guy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2012 Nov 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue as posted and I then tried to locate my Library folder and come to find out it is HIDDEN.  Ugh. Now they have made an easy solution hard. What I found is you can still search and retrieve your hidden files, like AutoRecovery files from the finder menu. To find the INVISIBLE files do the following:

Find invisible files

Some files used by Mac OS X are not ordinarily visible, but you can use Spotlight to find them.

1 - In the Finder, choose File > Find.

2 - From the far-left pop-up menu, choose Other.

3 - In the list of search attributes, select the “File invisible” checkbox, and then click OK.

4 - In the related menu, choose Invisible Items.

5 - Search for "Library"

6 - Library > Application Support > Adobe > Adobe Photoshop CS6 > AutoRecover

7 - In this folder you will find all the .psb files you will ever want! Send the appropriate file to the Trash

8 - Empty Trash.

Kuddos to all you super-users out there.

Keep on postin'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2013 Feb 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For fellow Mac users, just wanted to share a fast way to find and kill these auto recover files. I was in the same boat, trying to use Spotlight to search for the .psb file and coming up with nothing. Now that I know they are in the User Library, here is the best shortcut I have found:

1. In Finder, "option-click" on GO in the main Finder nav. From the dropdown you will see the elusive hidden Library folder, choose that option. (If you only click instead of option clicking, Library will not be visible!)

2. A finder window will open and you'll quickly see the folder tree people have described above. Trashing those .psb files fixed the problem for me. No doubt this will happen again, since the most recent update I have been experiencing crashes on saving, so unfortunately I am getting used to this.

For advanced users, there is a Terminal command to set the Library to be permanently visible. I would only recommend this if you are the ONLY person using your machine, and you know what you are doing. Simply google "reveal Library folder in Mac OS X <your version>" and you'll find plenty of step by step results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2013 Feb 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly what I did NOT want to see happening, Adobe screwing over their loyal software-owners. (since 1.0 BTW) Exclusive features for Cloud purchasers only! Do us software owners get a free minor upgrade with these features??? probably not

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopextended.html?trackingid=KCTFX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact it has already happened.  Perpetual license purchasers did not get the 13.1.x feature updates.

Hate to say it...  You may feel you're "loyal", but someone who agrees to pay Adobe a fee by the month that ends up being more than what you paid and includes a committment to continue gets more software functionality than you get.  One could say there is more "loyalty" in that committment than in your purchase history.

There was a time when getting someone to pay a chunk of money up front was considered a thing to strive for.  That's not the most attractive business model now.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jdwild wrote:

Exclusive features for Cloud purchasers only!  Do us software owners get a free minor upgrade with these features??? probably not

That's the deal with perpetual licenses...and you knew that going in. Buying a perpetual license entitles you to use the software without a time limit. Adobe will provide free updates (not upgrades) for bug fixes and maintenance issue for the period of time that particular version is currently shipping. During that time, no new features have ever been added. Once a new upgrade is released (a new version) then  free updates to your current version stop (although Adobe has released security updates for version that are no longer shipping).

With the subscription license, the deal is, you are entitled to new updates (same as with a perpetual license) AND new upgrades with new features…

I don't see how you can possibly think that is screwing people with perpetual licenses because perpetual licenses have never gotten upgrades with new features. That always required a paid upgrade.

What the people who get subscription licenses are paying for is a time limited license that includes free updates and upgrades with new features for the period of time they maintain their subscription licenses.

Adobe will release a new upgrade (probably on a similar time frame as the past upgrades) that will role in all the new features of the subscription license upgrades and you can decide at that time if the new features are enough for you to pay for the new perpetual license upgrade, same as it ever was.

It's a choice you have to make for yourself...subscribe and get free upgrades or buy a perpetual license and pay for the upgrade in the future. This is not a bad thing...it's just a new thing (which a lot of people don't understand and assume Adobe is just being evil).

In any event, this is completely off topic...and fortunately, the OP has solved their problem. Time to move on...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2013 Feb 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click on the file name tab, Select bottom option in drop down menu "reveal in finder"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 05, 2013 Feb 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good tip, Jamie!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue but resolved it before I saw this. I'm on a MAC and yes the PSD CS6 "auto recover" folder is hidden.

I had success with mousing over the name of the tab within PSD & right-clicked and selected "reveal in the finder" (Like Jamie posted, earlier)

Then CMD+Delete, then emptied trash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2014 Jul 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having same problem, unable to locate the file.
Not realising the dir was hidden.
Thank you, now found and removed. Was driving me nuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2013 Sep 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same problem.

The User > Library Folder is hidden.

Open Terminal, type "open library" (this should open and reveal the hidden 'library' folder in the Finder)

Then go to Application Support > Adobe > Adobe Photoshop CS6 > AutoRecover and delete all .psb files

This should fix your issue

-----

Zee Chaudhry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2014 Nov 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to find the Auto Recovery in Photoshop do the following:

When the picture opens automatically upon launching the program, highlight the top of the picture with your mouse pointer. Right click on it and you see a series of folders "AutoRecovery" folder should be on that list. Click on it and you will see the folder open up. In that folder you would see the picture that keeps launching. You can select it and "Move to Trash." Your Groundhog's Day of the repeating picture woes should end. If this works let me know. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines