• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot move a gradient in a Gradient fill layer

Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creating a simple gradient layer in a document. When I try to reposition the radial gradient I have made I get an error message: "Could not use the gradient tool because the content of the layer is not directly editable" Can anyone help? I am sure it is a simple issue I have overlooked. 

[ title changed by moderator ]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Thank you for the screenshot.

You created a gradient layer. For editing --> double click the yellow/transparent icon in your layers panel. (It is not possible to use the Gradient Tool on a gradient layer. This tool only works on pixel layers.)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CITYTWEETY,

are you on the "correct layer"?

Could you please show us a screenshot with opened layers panel, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as an exampleas an example

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the screenshot.

You created a gradient layer. For editing --> double click the yellow/transparent icon in your layers panel. (It is not possible to use the Gradient Tool on a gradient layer. This tool only works on pixel layers.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, I am aware that I cretaed a gradient layer and I know how to edit the gradient. The problem is that now that I have created a radial gradient I cannot move it around to a new location. Multiple teaching videos show this as a possibilty but I cannot seem to do it on this or any other file I have tried.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double click on the gradient icon in the layer, select the gradient and move around where you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said before:

• double click the yellow/transparent icon in your layers panel
  • as long as this panel is open - move the cursor over the midpoint of your gradient (in the picture! ) click and hold the LMB while moving the gradient around

• done

If that works for you

Have fun

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much. The key was moving the gradient while the dialogue box was still open. I was editing the gradient then closing the dialog box (or panel) before attempting the repositioning. My Bad. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem, now I know that the dialogue box needs to be open/active in order to move the gradient. Very helpful thread here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what we can do if there is multiple layer and gradient and we want move all together , in this case this method is not efficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad, that i could help.

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, i dont understand the answer to the question, i have the same issue, i cant drag a gradient either. thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, have the same issue, all dialog boxes are closed, Photoshot 2021Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 10.55.26 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured out, that the small window with the gradient settings needs to be opened, not closed as I thought. In this case, I can move the gradient. Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 11.03.20 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similair query. I see how it can be moved with the mouse if the panel is open. But I am not able to 'Transform' it, like what was previously possible in Photoshop, >Select layer with gradient > Cmd T> R> and then freely rotate and move (and nudge with keyboard) my gradient to wherever. Is this no longer a feature in Photoshop 2024?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, this is increasingly annoying when moving several objects between artboards (image banner campaign with 20+ artboards) and while every shape, text, etc. moves, the gradient stays in the same spot, but in a new artboard, which is pretty confusing. The only way is to rasterize it ot make it smartobject - which sometimes completely destroys its shape btw. Needles to say this renders the editable gradients tool useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2024 Jan 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm struggling with the same thing. I'd like to move the gradient along with two other linked layers -- everything moves together ... except the gradient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about multiple gradient movement? this method is efficient!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines