• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

cannot parse the file - SOLVED [PS 2015]

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2016 Feb 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm posting this as a new thread because there are simply TOO many threads out there concerning this topic and only a handful of them even have a work-around solution.   That solution being to open the picture in another program (like Paint) and then 'save as' another format - like .jpg .....

It's a work-around...but it doesn't help the majority of us that had a working .psd file with multiple layers that still needed editing.

So, here's the solution that I found that has worked like a charm for me and saved me HOURS of editing time:

Open up Finder or Windows Explorer.  Locate the file and delete the extension entirely.   Whether it's a .jpg, .png, .psd, etc. - whatever the extension is, just delete it.   Then right-click the file and 'open with' Photoshop.  

This has worked for me on numerous occasions.

Now, to keep this from happening in the future - always be very careful about HOW you save your work.   The most common way of getting this error in the first place is saving the file with the wrong extension.   Be mindful of naming the file with a .png extension when the save window shows the format as a 'photoshop' file.   Always check the 'format' box in the 'save as' window.  

I sincerely hope helps you as much as it has helped me.

- Big Jerry J

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Engaged ,
Feb 14, 2016 Feb 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the spirit of experimentation, I took an existing JPG, deleted the extension, attempted to open it in PS and got:

Capture.PNG

I replaced the extension and it opened right up.

FWIW, right-clicking on the file does not produce the "Open with > Adobe Photoshop CC 2015" option, either. This is on Win7 SP1.

So I don't know how you're doing it. There's something else going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2016 Feb 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the sake of experimentation, please try it on a .png file that you cannot open which gives you the specific error message of 'cannot parse the file'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have anything on hand that PS can't parse. I hate to say it (well, no, that's not true, I don't hate to say it), but in 15 years of Photoshopping I've never had a file it couldn't parse.

So-o-o, what I did do was I duped an image, dragged it into a hex editor and randomly mucked with the code, tried to open it in PS and got the "cannot parse" message, deleted the extension, tried to open it in PS again and got the "not the right kind of document" message as above.

Of course, at this point nothing wants to open it because the code is deformed.

None of which addresses my other observation, that "right-clicking on the file does not produce the 'Open with > Adobe Photoshop CC 2015' option". If the file has an extension, it does. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

There it stands at my end. Someone else will have to jump in because I can't reproduce your experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My trick is to open it in Mac's Preview.app and go to File > Save. If you placed a wrong extension on a file, Preview will correct it, even layered PSDs.

The freeware Irfanview for Windows might do the same thing.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked for me on my Mac.  Thanks.  I never had the problem until I imported my own pics from an online site.  They imported as .png files that I had to convert to .jpeg format before I could use them in Photoshop Elements 23.  Preview corrected the file extension immediately I 'saved'. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 22, 2016 Feb 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I've never had a file of my own I couldn't open, I've played with other people's unopenables. My party trick is to drag the recalcitrant file into a hex editor and look at the header because every format has its own distinct header. If the header doesn't match the extension, change the extension to the correct format. If it still won't open, then 10-to-1 the file is corrupt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 22, 2016 Feb 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's right. This error is almost always caused by the file suffix being wrong. Just this morning someone gave me a .PNG file that wouldn't parse. Simply changing the suffix to .JPG made it open instantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the opposite problem.  I'm trying to save a file to a png file but get the error: Could not save a copy as "\..file name.png" because the file-format cannot parse the file.  Have you seen this problem.  This is my first time on the community help, so don't know the protocol on how to send this, except as input to your comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, to start off, provide us with an idea what type of file you have and how you are going about saving the copy.

For example a screenshot of photoshop showing the layers panel open and the document tabs on top.

In the middle of that screen open the dialog box you were using to save the copy.

Here's how to take and post screenshots:

https://forums.adobe.com/message/4209263#4209263

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I resolved the problem. I had many layers that I saved as a .tif file successfully but when I tried to save it as a .png file, I received that error message that it couldn't be parsed.  I checked the size of the picture and the resolution was 1200 pixels.  I changed it to 300 pixels and that allowed me to save it as a .png. 

Thank you for the information you sent and I now have a new screen name. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to know that. I have heard of missing extensions generating that error, but not a gnormous 1200 ppi tiff.

Gene

You may need to change the handle.

No personal email or other contact information please. Your questions will be answered in the forums. Be wary of attempts to contact you privately especially via Skype.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 3.00.01 PM.png Somebody help me! Sometime I start photoshop, still take place 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, This appears to be an old problem which in over 20 years of using Photoshop has just hit me with the update to Photoshop 24. Bridge 13 and ACR 15.. Everything appeared ok until I started making adjustments in ACR . when I tried to open a **.ARW file from my Sony camera I got the message that Photoshop cannot parse my file. However, if I make no alterations then the file opens. I have gone back to the previous version of Bridge and there is no problem . Obviously an Adobe problem, so Adobe please sort it out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem now with 24.0.1 installed.  Works fine until I do something in ACR (like add one of the new "AI" masks) and then try to open in PS.  I have verified my file is in fact a Nikon RAW (NEF) file so I'm not sure what causes this problem, unless it's the new ".acr" file that ACR creates when you use the new masking features.  Regardless, it's frustrating and I might just use LR at this point as it sends everything to PS as TIFF or PSD files regardless of the original format (it converts it and then sends it over).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same problem with Sony .ARW files that open from Bridge to Camera Raw with no problem, but get the "file-format module cannot parse the file." on trying to open in Photoshop.

What has worked for me so far is ; instead of double clicking the file in Bridge to open in Camera Raw...Right click on the image in Bridge.....go to "Open With".....click on Photoshop. It will still open in Camera Raw....edit as usual....... then it will open in Photoshop.

Like I said at the start.....its worked for me so far with Sony .ARW files.

I hope it works for everyone else.

P.S FIX THIS ADOBE !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines