• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot Set Photoshop CC 2017 to Default Program

Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I wasn't able to find a similar question to help me, so hopefully asking one will help resolve this issue.

I have 3, Windows 7, computers running the latest CC 2017 programs. Illustrator and InDesign work fine.

Photoshop, however, has lost its ability to open files from the file window. I can only open files in photoshop by going File > Open, in Photoshop itself.

I have tried to set Photoshop to be the default program for opening various image files, but the program does not appear in the Default program section of Windows. As such, I have tried to go in through the File window and select photoshop to open from there (See Image)

Help1.jpg

I am able to find photoshop CC 2017 from the "Choose default program..." option seen in the image above, however, when I click to confirm, the window closes and nothing happens. The file does not open at all, and photoshop does not appear in the "Open With" set of programs.

I hope that someone can assist with this, as it is disrupting the workflow of all three computers.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

I too was experiencing this issue for the second time (unable to open jpg or pdf with Photoshop or even setting it as the default). The first was with the update prior to this one and I was able to remedy it myself by following along with the instructions here (Re: Photoshop not an option in "Open with..." menu ) however this time, with the 2017 update that remedy would not work. I tried everything I could find, including all suggestions listed on your post. I even uninstalled ALL adobe programs

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post explains what to do quite nicely:

After update to Photoshop 2017 thumbnails incorrectly linked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but this isn't for a Windows 7 computer, and I have already done everything for a Windows 7 that they have done in that answer. So unfortunately, this doesn't help my issue.

When I select PS17 as the default program, the window goes away and nothing happens. It still does not choose Photoshop as the program.

Thank you for trying though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found that sometimes the file association doesn't 'take' the first time and I have to associate the file type a second time. If you re-open the dialog box that associates file types, is the association correct? If not, give it another try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 2017 doesn't even show up when I try and go through that way. I'm going to try and reinstall the program now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try doing a search for the Photoshop CC 2017 executable file. It would normally be in your C drive Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CC 2017/Photoshop.exe

Once you know the path, you can navigate to it in the file association dialog box.

I just needed to do this for another application (not Photoshop) that wasn't showing up. I found that the path for that application was not where I expected it, but once I tracked it down I was able to associate the application.

Let me know if that works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did manage to find the executable file but when I click accept the window closes, but it does not change the default to photoshop. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program and it still does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try associating the file to Photoshop.exe again. Sometimes the association doesn't stick the first time you do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too was experiencing this issue for the second time (unable to open jpg or pdf with Photoshop or even setting it as the default). The first was with the update prior to this one and I was able to remedy it myself by following along with the instructions here (Re: Photoshop not an option in "Open with..." menu ) however this time, with the 2017 update that remedy would not work. I tried everything I could find, including all suggestions listed on your post. I even uninstalled ALL adobe programs and software and reinstalled - still nothing. Therefore I called Adobe Support, and I referenced your post - especially the fact that it hasn't been responded to by an Adobe employee and this is a MAJOR issue with updates on PCs - I've experienced with each of the last two updates. No problems on my Mac, however but work says I must use a shitty PC.

After sharing access to my computer and watching them try everything I had tried previously, they had to troubleshoot more and call me back after consulting with others. THIS TIME - instead of updating the key they DELETED photoshop all together from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications - if you delete it and exit, the key will reset itself correctly and then it should work. I'm curious to know if it does not.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked! Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found an even easier solution than messing with the registry.  I was not able to set Photoshop CC 2017 as my default program from Windows Explorer. I found in another forum from Microsoft this fix. 

Go to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017. Change the executable file

name from photoshop.exe to Photoshop CC 2017.exe and you should be able to

select it as a program in Windows to open whatever files you want.

You do need administrative rights for this to work, but much safer than changing your registry files.  It also worked for InDesign files. I had a problem with my InDesign files showing a little icon. Once I changed the program name from InDesign.exe to InDesign CC 2017.exe, I was able to set .indd files to open with InDesign as the default program and there was no longer a blank icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bless you for discovering this method so that people don't have to mess with the registry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked perfectly, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow!!!

Worked perfectly, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this the same solution on a Mac? I am currently using CC 2018. I am unable to change Photoshop CC 2018 as the default. The IOS is Sierra.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is, but it's a plist edit in the Photoshop.app Contents. Kind of advanced for an average user.

I can tell you how to do it, but if there is a glitch you would need to reinstall.

It is a bug Adobe is aware of and should fix in the next dot release.

In in the mean time just keep Photoshop open and drag your file to the CC 2018 icon in the dock.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7, too, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

GOT IT! In the photoshop 2018 folder, I renamed photoshop.exe to photoshop2018.exe and it now shows up in the file assocations. Finally I can get on with my life!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines