Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CARTOON - Photoshop trick - how to do it

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I hit one button or did something and it worked. Now I can't repeat it, but I'm sure it can be done.

I have a cartoon layer. Then a red bar layer above the cartoon. But I want the upper portion of the cartoon (head of man) to appear on top of the red bar layer. WHAT'S THE TRICK?

I have included pictures to demonstrate. (Note the actual mug where we originally did the cartoon some 25 years ago. HOW DO WE REPLICATE?)04. cam mug pic 2.pngcam mug all 11.pngcam mug all 20 - 20201123.png04. cam mug pic.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Use a mask to cut out the red bar around the head. When painting on a layer's mask, - white shows the associated layer , black hides it and shows the layer(s) below

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set the linework-Layer to Blend Mode Multiply and add a white Solid Color Layer with the appropriate Layer Mask under it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

am trying to implement your suggestion, but my knowledge of the features is limited. Is there a way I can send you the PSD and you do it and send it back? chris.agee@icloud.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks c.p,

i set the cartoon layer (linework?) to multiply and added a white layer below. but what is "appropriate Layer Mask under it?"

still not working.

your help is much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a mask to cut out the red bar around the head. When painting on a layer's mask, - white shows the associated layer , black hides it and shows the layer(s) below

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

am trying to implement your suggestion, but my knowledge of the features are limited. Is there a way I can send you the PSD and you do it and send it back?

[email address removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a layer mask for the layer with the bar.

Paint (Brush tool) with black on the layer mask (not the layer).

You might want to start by selecting the image layer and Select > Subject to restrict the painting area first, then select the mask on the red bar layer and paint with black to reveal the underneath layer.

jane-e_0-1606155721415.png

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still trying to fix this. I tried C.P suggestions and tinkered in many ways. no luck. I did this accidently before (about 2 months ago) but did not see how I had done it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the original layered file where you got it right, check each layer, the stacking order, blend mode, effects (fx) and see if you can get it.

"One button" might be Q or quick Mask where selections are shown as red.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

believe it or not, i recreated from pictures of the mug! 😉 So, no original. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

screenshot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Look again at my screen shot. The red layer needs to be above the cartoon layer, not below. Then create the mask on the red bar layer and read my directions and Dave's post again.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok! thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show another screen shot if you get stuck

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok. coming up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

screenshot2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

screenshot 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Chrispswanabe ,

In the Layers panel, drag the Red bar layer above the Cartoon layer.

A4D731E8-51A4-4C8B-A0EF-994788AB6117.jpeg

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes done. (sorry adobe tech support told me the other way; that was no help) So i have done and posted the screen shot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

• Select the mask (not the image) on the Red bar layer
  • Choose the Brush tool "B"
  • Set your colors to the defaults of B&W ("D")
  • Confirm Black is the foreground color
  • For practice, paint with Black on the mask to reveal the cartoon layer. Paint with white to hide the cartoon and show the red bar. "X" will switch colors.

Then do it for real:

• Select the Cartoon layer
  • Go to the Select menu > Subject to make a selection
  • Select the Red bar layer and click the mask (not the image)
  • Paint with black on the mask inside the selection
  • Go to Select > Deselect and paint on the mask with a small brush to fine-tune a few areas that were missed

Painting on the mask is non-destructive editing. You can touch up areas at any time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more tip: I like to reduce the opacity of the upper layer ( the Red bar) while working to 50-60% so I can see the lower layer, then set it back to 100% when finished.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

got it! thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jane and others for stepping and helping Chris whilst I was out of my office.

Chris - the detailed instructions that Jane gave you should have worked and you should now have the masked red bar layer above the cartoon layer. One more thing though.

In the original, some of the black lines were visible through the red layer. That is easily achieved if you select the red bar layer (which is now above the cartoon) and , in the layers panel change the layer's blend mode from normal to multiply.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jane!!! and Dave!! It worked! Fantastic! Now we can move forward with a holiday fundraiser, mugs and t-shirts etc. Cheers to you both!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yay!

One more thing: be sure to save a layered file. PNG and JPG do not support layers, so save it as a PSD or TIFF. You can also use the Notes tool to make (non-printing) notes to go with a PSD to remind yourself what you did and why.

Cheers,

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines