• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC deleted all my previous versions of PS. Photoshop 2020 crashes on startup in Windows OS

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When CC updated (automatically) - I had it set a long time ago to NOT delete older versions.  But when I click on other versions the 2017-2019 stuff is no longer there.

PSCC20.0.08 and PS21 crash on startup. "reading font list" is where it crashes.  I use a lot of fonts but this was never a problem with earlier versions or even the current version of Illustrator. Has the way fonts are managed by PS changed?

Is there any way for me to reinstall CC2019? the last working version for me.

Please help. Thank you in advance.

{Thread renamed by moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Have you checked to make sure you are running the correct version of Win 7?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html 

Have you tried using the keyboard shortcut to reset your PS Preferences (see above).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about Photoshop crashes with the reading font list error, could you please try the solutions mentioned here and let us know if it helps? https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop.html

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sahil,  

Thank you for the list of font troubleshooting ideas, but the problem persists.

CT Font Cache is empty - I've never been able to successfully launch PS2020. 

Deleted font caches for all other versions as well

Deleted font caches for Windows

I cannot get into PS to change preferences.

I checked for and do not have any of the fonts listed that are known to cause errors.

Used the FontTest script on OLD version of PS (CS5) and all fonts passed. None failed.
Crashes every time at "Reading font List"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold down Shift+Ctrl+Alt before the Photoshop startup screen launches.

It will ask if you want to reset your preferences, choose yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use your CC app to install previous versions (2019) of Photoshop.

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kstolmeyer1 - thank you, but whatever happened during the auto-update also deleted all the previous versions. I now only have 2 versions (20 and 21) listed under PS (or any app for that matter).  In preferences, it's set to "show older" versions as well.   I even tried a Windows system restore to a month ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 20 is 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies, the version of PSCC2019 before v20 (v19xx)? - After the recent Adobe MAX release (v20xx) I had to use the earlier version - not ideal, but it was serviceable.  Now that working version of 19xx is gone from the list and I can't seem to get it back.  I can't use 2020 (v21) or the current release of 2019 (v20) need v19xx.  or a solution to prevent the later versions from crashing at launch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately CC2018 (Version 19) is no longer available from Adobe.

Earlier this year Adobe changed their availability policy.

https://theblog.adobe.com/changes-to-creative-cloud-download-availability 

You won't be able to download anything beyond 1 version back from current.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that's disappointing.  Thank you for telling me though. 

So back to making the current version work for me then... any ideas there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having the same problem! PS 2020 crashing EVERTIME I open app now...

• Working on a DELL Windows 10.
  • Did a clean reinstall 3 days ago
  • Updated all drivers as per Intel website via Adobe push(link)

2019 release worked 'pretty well'. PS 2020 is horrible for Windows 10. So now I have install PS 2019??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sundiata,

Thanks for your input but my problem is not with Win10 - it's good to know that an OS upgrade won't fix this on its own. This post originated with my workhorse desktop - multiple calibrated large monitors, multi-core processor, dedicated SSD scratch disk and a bunch of RAM running good old Windows 7 Pro.

PS2020 works fine on my Win10 machine (Windows Surface laptop). 

The problem is it's underpowered and the screen is tiny for the work I do.

From earlier posts I now understand that the earlier version of CC2019 (v19xx) is no longer available to install.  https://theblog.adobe.com/changes-to-creative-cloud-download-availability  

Still need help making current (v20xx) versions work for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked to make sure you are running the correct version of Win 7?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html 

Have you tried using the keyboard shortcut to reset your PS Preferences (see above).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kstohlmeyer1,

I had used the Ctrl/Alt/Shift during launch to delete prefs many times before starting all of this but today is a new day.  It worked! THANK YOU!  

I hope it's this easy of a fix for Sundiata. Even if you've done it before - try it again. 

Happy Holidays everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<meta charset="UTF-8" />

Hey Malinst,

Thank for your response. Tried something yesterday that might help. What I did to fix the problem in my world was:

1. Uninstall Photoshop 21.0.2

2. Install Photoshop 21.0.1  (This version also loads with the new art for PS 2020 you know the girlee Mermaid theme)

I don't know if it has all the bells and whistles of the 21.0.2 version, but so far the end result has been ELECTRIC! 

“Hand Tool...Go!”

“Magic Wand...Go!”

“Multi-File/Window Toggle...Go!”

You get the picture. Hope it works for you Will keep everybody posted.

Happy Holidays

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2019 Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sundiata,

Happy to hear you got it working on your end and thank you for sharing your experience  - There is an improvement (truly anything would be an improvement) but it's still not working for me. This is close as I've been to have it working but it is still unusable. I opened another case since the could not launch situation has been resolved.

Yes, with your suggestion of 21.0.1 I can now switch tools which is better than anything I could do since version 19xx went away - but something simple, duplicate a layer simple - CRASH.  

I was able to open and crop a 1MB file but when I duplicated the layer to apply some high pass sharpening it crashed.

Select and mask on 122kb file with white background - CRASH.   Note: I was able to go back 20 years and utilize my Photoshop 5 skills of magic wand, contract selection by 1px and backspace to remove the background... 

I attempted to simply open a fairly 'basic' file in my world - 120MB - CRASH.

NOTE: I've tried with "legacy compositing" on and off, I've tried with all GPU (GTX 750Ti - 2GB) settings (basic through advanced) and tried with GPU off entirely.  No real difference from on/off, not that I'm able to get to a graphic intensive task in the first place.

Any other ideas? Anyone?

Happy Holidays everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2019 Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

<meta charset="UTF-8" />

Awwww man I thought that was the silver bullet!

One last thing, you might have answered this already(apologies) but did you follow through with the Adobe's push link to
Intel's driver diagnostic web page? Basically Intel scans your hard drive for faulty or outdated drivers and the provides you with the updated drivers which you then download, restart...download restart...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines