• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change image size without losing quality.

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there...

I need help with resizing images in photoshop.

I am game developer and i have upload my game to steam, and they request background image for my profile with 231px x 87px, when i import the image and change the size, the quality of image drop and start  change to blur which have been rejected from steam after they review the image.

I have tried to screenshot and put it in photoshop not working.

I have tried from illustrator to photoshop move it / export as photoshop file not working.

I also tried image size and changing the resolution dose make the image look good but the size change and I also checked box resample and choses preserve details 2.0 not working.

Any suggestions how to fix it?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

You do realise that after downsizing an image, you can't take it back to its original size without significant loss of quality?  For your screen shot to make sense you need to show it like this

image.png

It's a busy image that is not going to lend itself to that degree of downsizing.  Do you have to use the image exactly as it is? If you simplify it it will downsize a lot better.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Agree with Chris. This is just extremely small, and at these extremely small sizes you really need to consider every single pixel. It's not a limitation in Photoshop; it's a limitation in pixels. You can't resize a standard photo to this size and expect anything meaningful to come out of that.

You need to build this from the ground up. It's very difficult! That's why it's referred to as "pixel art".

View at 100% to judge the final result - but while working, zoom in to 400% or more to see ev

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hard to comment without knowing the pixel dimensions of the original, nor seeing the original or the resized results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pixel dimensions of the original 800px w x 301px h.store_capsule_small.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do realise that after downsizing an image, you can't take it back to its original size without significant loss of quality?  For your screen shot to make sense you need to show it like this

image.png

It's a busy image that is not going to lend itself to that degree of downsizing.  Do you have to use the image exactly as it is? If you simplify it it will downsize a lot better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it make sens but still low quality.store_capsule_1small.png

store_capsule_small1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want it to be perfect it just at least to pass steam review

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried convertng the image to a Smart Object layer before resizing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I did

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @osama5C56 ,

Trevor has the overall answer for you. The fix is to make a simpler image that lends itself to the low resolution you are required to have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

store_capsule_small1.png

Yes but still low quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will just be low quality. 87 px tall is not very much space. That does look much better overall though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with Chris. This is just extremely small, and at these extremely small sizes you really need to consider every single pixel. It's not a limitation in Photoshop; it's a limitation in pixels. You can't resize a standard photo to this size and expect anything meaningful to come out of that.

You need to build this from the ground up. It's very difficult! That's why it's referred to as "pixel art".

View at 100% to judge the final result - but while working, zoom in to 400% or more to see every individual pixel clearly. You need that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am a professional Blogger and I have to paste images on my articles. But when i take these picture from the internet then usually I edit those on adobe photoshop. but when i upload those photos on my website the photos look blurred. what to do now, I need help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines