Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

color balance gradient???

New Here ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Friends,

Sometimes I am illustrating a curved object like a cylinder. I would like the light on one side to be warmer in color and the other side to be cooler in color. For example an object lit in bright sunlight is warmer in color on the sunny side and cooler  in color on the shady side. Is it possible to use gradients to achieve this effect? Or is there some other technique I can use.

Thanks for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would add and adjustment layer of some sort, with a gradient in its layer mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. My question is what kind of adjustment layer? I could  use a Hue/Saturation layer and make it go from very warm to less warm, but I can't make it warm on one side and cool on the other. Possibly two layers might work, but that seems an inelegant solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, what I suggested is pretty inelegant. I think a better approach might be to add a Gradient Overlay Layer Effect. Try various blending modes to get the effect you want - Overlay might be a good start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A gradient clipped to your shape would do this - see example below

Without gradients :

With gradients :

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Walt,

you might want to try Color Balance adjustment in Photoshop​. There's an option to select the tone. I hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines