• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color change between 8-bit and 16-bit

Engaged ,
Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was a surprise. I copied a layer from a 8-bit file with color blocks, including three brown ones named coffee brown, dark chocolate brown, and mahogany. In other words, they're unmistakably brown. 

I copied the layer into a 16-bit file. All the colors are a little bit different, except that the browns turned red. 

I color sampled them, and Photoshop says they're the same colors. Coffee brown is 184/77/76 in the original 8-bit and when copied into the 16-bit document. However, when I screengrabbed them, Photoshop reports the 16-bit coffee brown is RGB 250/32/79. 

I thought, if anything, the 16-bit color would be more accurate or complex than 8-bit, but that's clearly not the case, at least when it comes to browns.  I'm using an Acer CM3271K (4K UHD IPS, 99% Adobe RGB, Delta E <2 color accuracy). 

I don't know how to handle this. I can't just avoid using brown.

Scott

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

This has nothing to do with 8 bit vs 16 bit. It's lack of color management procedure.

First, make sure the file has an embedded color profile. It's not so important which one, as long as there is one. Never work with untagged images (no color profile). If you need a different color space than the embedded, convert.

Second, screenshots are a special case. A screenshot is no longer in the original document color space. The numbers have been converted into the monitor profile, into monitor colo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the two images’ Color Spaces? (I mean »Color Spaces« as in ICC Profiles, not »Color Modes« as in »RGB«.)

Please set the Status Bar to »Document Profile« and post screenshots of the source image and the receiving image. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»However, when I screengrabbed them, Photoshop reports the 16-bit coffee brown is RGB 250/32/79.«

What are the readings for the 8bit image? 

In a Color Managed situation it would seem very unlikely that a screenshot would display the same RGB-values as in the original profiled image (except for special cases close to extremes). 

What are Photoshop’s Edit Color Settings? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has nothing to do with 8 bit vs 16 bit. It's lack of color management procedure.

First, make sure the file has an embedded color profile. It's not so important which one, as long as there is one. Never work with untagged images (no color profile). If you need a different color space than the embedded, convert.

Second, screenshots are a special case. A screenshot is no longer in the original document color space. The numbers have been converted into the monitor profile, into monitor color space.

To correctly handle a screenshot, always assign your monitor profile first, then convert into whatever standard color space you're working in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If only »Document profile« was the Status Bar default then one might be able to gather the relevant information from screenshots right away in cases like this … 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed. That's a lot more useful than image sizes. And it would save us a lot of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, D. How do I assign my monitor profile to screengrabs?

Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the screenshot in Photoshop and Edit > Assign Profile. Open the rolldown and find your monitor profile, and pick that.

At this point you will see the colors "snap" into the correct representation. But you don't want to keep it in this profile, because it's a non-standard profile specific to your screen, and it doesn't have any relevance elsewhere.

So then you convert to a standard color space, usually sRGB (or Adobe RGB or ProPhoto). You do this with Edit > Convert to Profile.

After doing this, the screenshot will match the original file both in appearance and numbers.

"Assign" changes the meaning of the existing RGB numbers, and the appearance changes accordingly. "Convert" recalculates all the numbers to preserve the visual appearance as it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's right. That's how you do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And again: What are the two images’ Color Spaces? 

Edit: And: What are Photoshop’s Edit Color Settings? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the questions »What are the two images’ Color Spaces?« and »What are Photoshop’s Edit Color Settings?« too taxing to answer? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've asked you politely three, now four, times to not respond to my posts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@scotwllm wrote:

I've asked you politely three, now four, times to not respond to my posts. 

You think I learn the names of rude Forum posters by heart in order to avoid trying to help them in other threads they might start? 

Because you seem to refer to another thread … 

But back to the issue at hand: Was the color change owed to the two images having different Color Spaces (or one being unprofiled)? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think this one is resolved, Christoph. It was indeed different color spaces, one being a screenshot, and yes, at least one of them was untagged, again being a screenshot. I think we can move on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines