• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colorize images to specific cmyk value

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to colorize an entire image to a specific CMYK value (not just manually adjusting the hue to approximate it). I have seen many similar tutorials online, but nothing that does this in a straight-forward way. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no "straightforward way" because that's just not how it works. It's in fact not even clear what you mean by "colorizing an entire image to a specific value". If you do that, you end up with a monochrome solid. So you really need to clarify what is actually required. From simply using an overly to generate a tint to complicated techniques where everything is separated into custom channels this could be anything.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rachel.b.Jackson â€“ Are you referring to the "colorize" checkbox in the Hue & Saturation adjustment?

If you are in CMYK mode and wish to specify CMYK values, then a Gradient Map adjustment or a Duotone/Montone mode and back to CMYK again before fine tuning any values.

These methods are not exactly the same as hue/saturation colorize.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Stephen_A_Marsh Thank you!

Yeah... I am referring to the "colorize" box. I want to keep the tonality, but change the hue of the entire image to a specific CMYK value. Does that make any sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A "specific CMYK value" is a flat field of monochrome color, period. With tonality it's a range of CMYK values. In other words, your question rests on faulty premises.

You can't use Colorize for this. The closest would be a layer in Color blend mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D Fosse â€“ Agreed, however, I think that was more of an analogy.

The CMYK values entered would be for the solid in the following example, with the other tones being a lesser % thereof.

@Rachel.b.Jackson â€“ As I wrote earlier, you can use either Duotone/Monotone mode and specify the "spot colour" via CMYK values and then convert to CMYK, or use a Gradient Map adjustment layer with CMYK colour picker values.

The original grayscale image:

black-step.png

Duotone/Monotone to C0-M100-Y100-K0:

monotone-step.png

Gradient Map adjustment layer to C0-M100-Y100-K0:

gradientmap-step.png.png

Altough the input is using CMYK values, I was working in either a Grayscale mode or RGB mode file. CMYK doesn't really led itself to such "creative" adjustments, however, converting to an appropriate CMYK ICC profile will get one most of the way there, perhaps with some final adjustments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As I understand it, HUE is a conversion of RGB only. So anything that works with hue will be directly converted from RGB, handled as hue, and then turned back to RGB. So, while you can convert that onward to CMYK, you can't specify a CMYK value as a hue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines