Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colors pixelate when resizing images

Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2024 Apr 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody.

I have a reoccurring problem that I was hoping someone could help with. 

I'm currently working on a project and decided that it was too big but every time I try to resize the image there is some pixelation which is understandable but the issue is that it also affects the colors. 

Before resizing 

SS2.JPG

After 

SS1.JPG

As you can see the greys turn to black and there's a lighter color surrounding. 

Not really sure how to solve this problem so if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please provide specific details for the resizing method you are using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to image - image size - and reduced the dimensions 

I also tried free transforming it which had lesser color problems but still some.

This is on photoshop 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of Resample method are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of Resample method are you using?

By @Semaphoric

Agreed!

@JRStudios - use bicubic smoother or bilinear to avoid in-built sharpening halos. If the content isn't photorealistic you could also try the newer preserve details or preserve details 2 algorithms (generally for upsizing)... Or you can combine various methods.

Always keep a separate copy of the original, there's no getting those original pixels back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2024 May 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice but I'm afraid I don't know what that means means lol.

I'm using photoshop and I've tried a few ways to resize like going to image - image size. Also tried to Free Transform the layers and using the Crop Tool to reduce the artboard accordingly but it still creates the black pixels. 

And no the picture isn't photorealistic. It's a cartoon drawing I personally created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Image Size dialog, you have several different options for the resampling:

Semaphoric_0-1714576529013.png

Some of these methods apply sharpening, which it looks like your issue is here. Try some of the various methods, and see if one of them gives more desirable results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's right. I always use Bicubic Smoother, because it has no built-in sharpening (or very little). Then I apply my own sharpening afterwards, usually with the ACR filter which is great for controlling halos and artifacts.

The one to avoid at all costs is Bicubic Automatic. It oversharpens terribly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so after trying all the resampling options the one that works best is bilinear but it leaves it looking very fuzzy and any attempts to sharpen it afterwards through filter leads to either the same problem or at the very least the black pixelation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JRStudios wrote:

Ok so after trying all the resampling options the one that works best is bilinear but it leaves it looking very fuzzy and any attempts to sharpen it afterwards through filter leads to either the same problem or at the very least the black pixelation.

Welcome to raster editing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a trick you can use to remove halos — although obviously better to avoid them in the first place.

Anyway, make a new layer, and se it to Darken, and use the clone tool.

I've used a mask above the guide to show before and after.

You can see that the clone tool has covered the black pixels

image.png

But if I set the layer to Darken, they only show over the lighter halo tones.  It's a good tip for removing CAs 

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey!

Thanks for the tips but as for covering up the black pixels that isn't going to work. As you can see from the horizontal line the black isn't added around the grey but rather it's replacing it. If I cover it up it will take away parts of the image that are supposed to be there.

Thanks to the power of Ctrl+Z it's not too late to prevent it from happening but the million dollar question is how?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The cloning is done on a new layer set to Darken, and is entirely non-destructive.  None of the darker tones are compromised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines