• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Complete: Design the Photoshop Forums Banner Challenge 2

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

***Voting for Round 2 has CLOSED! Congratulations to Matt Cannon View the submissions​!***

Hi all,

Round one of the Forums Banner Challenge was awesome. Congratulations to the winner of the last round -- Trevor.Dennis​​, and well done to all of the other entries. Incase you missed it -- Check out the first Banner Challenge​!

It sounds like you're itching to get going again, so let's kick off Round two!

Purpose: Create a fresh Photoshop Forums Banner for the Photoshop forums overview page.

PSBannerChallenge-wide.jpg

Using the template in this post, submit your Photoshop Forums Banner design by attaching your image in a response to this thread. We’ll then select the best submissions and use them for our Photoshop Forums banner image. A new banner image will be selected by an internal Adobe committee every 3 or so months and used in the Photoshop forums.

Use the above template design as a starting point for your designs which will help you position your imagery so it won’t be covered by the forum's CSS banner elements:

Image dimensions: 1150px ×150px (72dpi)

File size: 30kb or less

File types: .JPG or .PNG

Please keep all submissions Photoshop-related (Photoshop UI is OK to use), safe for work, and use image content you have the rights to (do not use any copyrighted images).

Post your designs to this thread, and we'll select the winner around February 2017. The chosen winner's design will be featured in the Photoshop Forums which is seen by over 35,000 people each month!

Looking forward to seeing what you can come up with.

Regards

Adobe Social Team

***Voting for Round 2 has CLOSED! Congratulations to Matt Cannon View the submissions​!***

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

As most of you have already discussed --

Congratulations to mrcannon for winning round 2 of the Photoshop Forums Banner challenge!

Your design has now been added to the main page and will stay until the next challenge.

Thank you to each who entered and to those that voted. Some really awesome entries.

Regards

Pete

P.S. Would you like to have more of these banner challenges in the future? Would you like other forms of community challenges?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Mentor ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Benjamin, this forum is delivered in divers languages. Not sure adding text like that in "English" only, could make this forum "International" as Adobe software are. What do you think ?

Btw, Trevor concept was borderline to me. (example : all the JIVE header text is in French for me)

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point, Pierre, although these are technically the English forums. There are international forums for other languages. Nevertheless, I may remodel this entry for use as a second entry. I'd also like to hear Pete's thoughts one this matter.

Benjamin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Quebec French: Québec is the second-most populous province of Canada and the only one to have a predominantly French-speaking population, with French as the sole provincial official language.

I'v been using/learning Adobe software exclusively in English from day one (that's a long time).

But, I live in Québec, Canada and we are mostly bilingual. ( Canada has 2 official languages ) I can't stand the french forum.

My Mac OS and Browsers are in french.

I bet a ton of users are doing this.

Just my 2¢

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pierre,

The text is now removed and a book added in its place to symbolize. Hmm, I like the new better anyway, so thanks for the push.

Second entry:

Photoshp Banner 011817 (Book, WO Text).jpg

Photoshp Banner 011817 (Book, WO Text) (Template).jpg

Gene​, you're on page two of the open book

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Benjamin Root wrote:

I like that Benjamin.  I'm not sure that the book needs to be central reference the entire banner, so much as more central to the gap on the right.  Rule of thirds and all that.  A great idea though, albeit a bit biblical.

Render Fibers is a good way to make pages. The illustration below was made from a flat image of the front of the book a couple of years ago.  There is a glaring error with the perspective that shouts at me now, but we live and learn.  The trick with fibers is to FT them width wise, reduce contrast, and sharpen a touch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right, of course, Trevor! That's what I get for trying to post in a hurry.

I took the liberty to change entry #2 with the updated photo.

gener7 wrote:

Must be the "How not to Take Selfies" chapter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Benjamin Root wrote:

Pierre,

The text is now removed and a book added in its place to symbolize. Hmm, I like the new better anyway, so thanks for the push.

Second entry:

Photoshp Banner 011817 (Book, WO Text).jpg

Gene, you're on page two of the open book

Must be the "How not to Take Selfies" chapter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seeing as we are bringing Pierre's location into this, I'll add the thoughts of his near(ish) neighbour Freeman Patterson who has a relationship with my part of New Zealand.  Freeman is into the screw your face up, scrunch your eyes, and look at a scene/image in terms of tones and colours and their interrelationships.  While I am not a fan of the airy fairy approach to image making, I do feel that the way image elements work together is vital. 

I mentioned during the first challenge that my approach to design is to jot down as many bullet points as are relevant to the message/story we are trying to put across, and kind of stir them up and shake them about — in reality that means using a Thesaurus on some of the words to see if variations start to fit together.

The visuals need to be simple with good contrast between our focal point and the background.  There is no question that your eye goes straight to the dice in this banner, and that the three central components of our message/story 'Photoshop' Questions' & 'Answers' are strongest in the design, with the other three icons retaining interest without stealing focus.  Even the gradient works to keep us in the frame.  I thought later (I can never wait to 'put it out there) that I should have placed the vanishing point for the grid immediately above the dice.

I've decided not to try and finish my idea for the next banner as it was taking too much time, and I didn't feel like obsessing over it to the exclusion of everything else, so I'll share it with you.  This started from TAing for Bert Monroy at MAX after which I made this digital portrait from a photograph of my wife Chris.  So I thought I'd do a Usual Suspects poster using digital portraits of some of the forum regulars.

I've got Dave close to being happy with, but I messed up his teeth and need to start again there, and there is a button hole missing from his shirt.

I saw Benjamin as a wild mountain man with all that red hair and his beard, but there's a lot of work needed, and he doesn't have that 'essence of Benjamin' yet. I think I'm going to abandon the long fuzzy hair, and try for a a wild curly look.

Gene was attempted from that tiny blurred avatar, which turned into a disaster, so between Gene and myself, we decided to leave him out.  I have half done portraits of Terri and myself, and I managed to find a decent B&W image of Dag.  The whole thing was never intended as a serious banner entry, but it's all good practice, and I have learned a few new tricks on the way.

If you actually want to be included, and trust me with a full res image that you like, flick it to me and I'll add it to the list of work in progress. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, Trevor!

Your idea reminds me of Mount Rushmore. Speaking of which, one of my brothers moved to South Dakota a few years ago. Rushmore was one of the first places he took a selfie after the move and made the mistake of posting it to Facebook. I immediately downloaded the image, and added his face to the stone. Promptly one of his friend told me to get a life

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Mount Rushmore

Interesting idea Benjamin. Before your post I was thinking about a briefing I could give to some designers.

Bref N01 :

1) Photoshop is the main Photo editor of Adobe. (so use a real photo as background).

2) How about a Photo of a mountain range pics > to represent an histogram.

3) Color the image using all your skills.

Note : I'm an old fart Art/Creative Director. My teacher was Claude Cossette, founder of Cossette, where I worked for some years before creating my own studio.

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not because I don't love Nancy's wonderful mask idea, but I think we should have some actual pixels in the banner. With the current flood of high density display-related threads, I feel it would actually help explain the nature of a pixel-based raster image editor. Right up there in the heading.

Now, this image has been used before in the ACP forum, but it just lends itself very well to the format, with no highlights obscuring the text. I don't like to repeat myself, but I just can't find another image that is quite as suitable.

And it has Pierre's histogram mountains

dawn_banner_pixel.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Kinda cool D Fosse, I bet one can add some vertical color (above the maintains, or so) to look like more of a real histogram.

In my book, the next Header should be "very" simple and to the point of Photoshop. ( pixel modification of real photos ).

Just my 2¢, again.

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Pierre. I like simple, that's why I decided to put this one forward.

The histogram analogy only goes so far, though. This one would have very ugly clipping in both ends...

Also, one could argue that Photoshop isn't Adobe's primary photography app any more. That would be Lightroom. Photoshop is more a general raster editor, wherever those pixels come from. It's as much about painting and compositing, even 3D work, or prepress and production backend.

Still, the pixel is always at the heart of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Good point.

I'm just an old fart (Creative Director) using Photoshop (even before Adobe bought the code from the Knoll brothers).

Long story short, I had access to this "secret" computer lab ( deep down under the university compound ).

I'v won my first big Photo prize 45 years ago doing composite images in my darkroom.

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 28, 2017 Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I know when the deadline for this submission is! Will be posting my design in the next few days! Hope that is enough time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2017 Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pete said February, so you should have at least a few more days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 29, 2017 Jan 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys, if you see this thread slipping off page 1, can you bump it so everyone sees it and gets a chance to vote.

Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Trevor, I'll adjust the announcement in the forums landing as well.

Regards

PG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on people.  Only 21 votes cast as I type this, which might mean just eleven people have voted.  I'll admit I was the awkward bugger who only cast a single vote, but our two votes appeared to count equally, and I had a clear winner in mind.     You don't need to have participated to be eligible to vote.

To put the numbers into perspective, a little over a year ago Dave Merchant made the comment below in response to a question about the Adobe forum stats (metrics).  Madison had just posted the stats which said these forums were getting 1.27 million daily views, and that the Photoshop, Lightroom and Premiere Pro forums got the bulk of those views.  Dave explains how that surprisingly large number is reached, but even taking Dave's explanation into account, an awful lot of people use the Photoshop forum every day!   So come on people.  We want to see at least a 100,000 votes cast.

[EDIT]  Dave's quote was not word wrapping and impossible to read, so I have swapped it out for a screen shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pete/Trevor

I wonder if we should branch this off so that post 47 appears at the top. At the moment this post has to be opened and the action required is part way down page two so starting at first or last post does not get straight to it.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We could add a note to the very top on the OP, also. That would avoid a duplicate thread.

Something like: ***Voting has begun! View the submissions and vote for your favorite two entries!***

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think a major issue is having to click an external link to see the entries, having to scroll to see all of the entries and then having to click a vote button at the top to get to yet another external link just to vote. It would probably work better if the Poll worked inline with the forum and the voting was visually near the entries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multiple clicks is probably part of the issue, hopefully it's not that much of a detractor. Do you have a suggestion for a tool that would allow such a system Matt, I'm not sure if I can use Jive Polls to include images, will need to investigate? As it is, I'm putting stuff together using the tools available to me, open to suggestions that make this easier if you have them.

Regarding this thread, I've returned it to being "a question" which allows it to have a correct answer, set my post as the correct answer (hopefully a correct answer doesn't deter folks from visiting the thread this week), and added the voting links as an announcement as well. I'll include Benjamin's one line to the OP.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Regards

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pete.Green  wrote

...I'm not sure if I can use Jive Polls to include images, will need to investigate?...

Hmm, Jive polls might just work, Pete. You can upload an image for each choice, but I wonder if there are any limitations on the number of poll choices?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines