• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Completely lost in Photoshop: Where are preferences so I can turn off rich tool tips?

Advisor ,
Jul 13, 2024 Jul 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never been so lost in Photoshop and been a user since 1988... These 'rich tool tips' have taken over the program and I'm not getting any work done because of the constant intrusion... Where are preferences as I look under Photoshop and there is no way to turn off these tool tips, there is no menu called 'preferences.'  Who ever thought this should be so hidden and. forced upon the lot of us who are simply trying to get our daily work done. Need help desperately to turn this tool tips stuff off please!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 13, 2024 Jul 13, 2024

In recent versions of macOS, namely Ventura and Sonoma, Preferences are called Settings.

So that would be Photoshop 2024>Settings>Tools and uncheck Show Rich Tooltips

setgs.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In recent versions of macOS, namely Ventura and Sonoma, Preferences are called Settings.

So that would be Photoshop 2024>Settings>Tools and uncheck Show Rich Tooltips

setgs.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 14, 2024 Jul 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, so good. Thanks for your help with this. World of difference to have this under control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I. went to Settings and the menu already had tool tips and rich tool tips unchecked.... I wonder why the tool tips have been showing up whenever I do editing in Photoshop?

Screenshot 2024-07-14 at 12.41.54 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preferences is under the Edit menu. When the dialog box opens, choose Tools, and turn off tool tips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, so in Sonoma, whether I choose 'settings' in the Photoshop menu, I can still go to the edit menu and choose preferences? I didnt see it but will go back and re-check. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ken Nielsen I was curious when you wrote, I'm not getting any work done because of the constant intrusion
and then it hit me....I wonder if it's the 'Smart Guides' that is throwing you off instead. I know I normally turn this off in both applciation for Adobe Illustrator and Photohop (see smartGuides.png). Is it pink lines going everywhere when you try align things or move objects in Photoshop? 

If so, go to the main menu - view - show - uncheck smart guides

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been moved and is now called Settings. There is still only one Preferences.

But if rich tooltips are already unchecked, it sounds like a corrupt prefences file and it's time to reset. Make sure to save out any actions, brushes etc. that you want to keep.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was able to. shut the programs down and restart and now it works. Saved from having to re-install.... Thank goodness!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in Sonoma, whether I choose 'settings' in the Photoshop menu, I can still go to the edit menu and choose preferences?

By @Ken Nielsen

Short answer: no.

On Windows, Preferences has always been in the Edit menu for most applications. You can only go to Edit > Preferences if you are using Windows.

On macOS, Preferences used to always be in the Application menu (in this case, the application is Photoshop). Two versions of macOS ago, Apple changed the term Preferences to Settings in all applications. "Settings" is still in the Application menu. In Sonoma, go to Photoshop > Settings.

See the answer and screenshot from Jeff.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines