• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Complex text effects action + csv = possible?

Participant ,
Sep 09, 2016 Sep 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a complex text effect made up of many layers which at some point get rasterized.

I also happen to have a nice csv file filled with first names I want to use that effect with.

Now, I can likely create a few lengthy photoshop actions to do the work up to the point I type in a first name, and to take up the completion of the effect from there.

That would be really painful as you can see if I had 1500 first names to do.

So, I'm hoping and searching still, all day, for a way to script the use of actions and datasets to output highly personalized documents.

Please let me know, if you can, where I need to look to start finding an answer...

Thank you very much!

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 10, 2016 Sep 10, 2016

I have not tested, however it sounds like the best “out of the box” approach would be:

1. Setup a master dynamic “text replacement” variable file using styles (image/variables).

2. Export out the datasets so that they contain the style already applied (file/export/data sets as files).

or

1. Record the action to apply the complex effects to a text layer or a rasterized text layer.

2. Setup a variable text layer, then have Photoshop export the data sets to 1500 files to an output folder.

3. Run a batch

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2016 Sep 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not tested, however it sounds like the best “out of the box” approach would be:

1. Setup a master dynamic “text replacement” variable file using styles (image/variables).

2. Export out the datasets so that they contain the style already applied (file/export/data sets as files).

or

1. Record the action to apply the complex effects to a text layer or a rasterized text layer.

2. Setup a variable text layer, then have Photoshop export the data sets to 1500 files to an output folder.

3. Run a batch action against the output folder to apply the effects. Variables are “latent” and don’t exist until they are exported, so you would have to have the variable merge create the files first for the action to work on if you could not pre apply a style before the merge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, I will look into it. I'll post back some results if successful!

Cheers,

Antoine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Stephen you should look for some tutorials on Photoshop Data Driven Graphics.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I will look into it. I'll post back some results if successful!

Cheers,

Antoine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines