• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Confusion on Gradient Tool Behavior

Participant ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use the gradient tool, it affects the layer, and if I am unhappy with its results, I just UNDO and then try again. It is basically a "one shot deal" ... love it or hate it.

However, in this YouTube tutorial (5:25 to 6 min.), the gradient tool in the mask seems to be ADDITIVE, like he keeps adding to what is being masked.  https://youtu.be/oZr378NyOKM?list=PLHRSsMUaMQK3CeE_8Ayg36ix01Zgh9teI&t=325 

When I try this, after one gradient tool stroke, it completely annihilates any prior masking and creates something from scratch. And the same for each successive gradient tool stroke.  So how is he able to make it ADDITIVE? Please help!  Thank you!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

The problem as i see it is your settings.

First you need to select the Foreground to Transparent gradient and then you need to check Transparency in the Gradient tool options.

(you have your Edit>Preferences>Workspace set for Enable Narrow Options Bar, so you don't see

the word Transpaency in the Tool Options)

grad1.jpggrad2.jpg

After that you should get the same results as in the video in your intial post.

The Narrow Options Bar

grad3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Which Gradient have you chosen to use? »Black, white«, Foreground to transparent«, …? 

You can also experiment with Blend Modes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've posted an example screenshot of the gradient to which I am referring. I have used blending modes as well exercise from the tutorial video but for other uses in the task.

I would like to know why the person in the tutorial video has a gradient tool that is behaving differently than mine. Thanks. 

gradient psd sceenshot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you notiice that I underligned Foreground to transparent in my previous post? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the tutorial he set the gradient from black to transparent, not black to white.

Adobe Photoshop 2021ScreenSnapz020.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. However, this is not the issue.

In the video, he is able to almost 'paint' like with a brush with the gradient tool, and it continues to add black to the mask. Conversely, for me, for every stroke of the gradient tool, it eliminates the prior gradient in the mask and starts fresh. There is nothing additive. Nothing builds upon the prior gradient tool stroke. It's all or nothing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Thank you. However, this is not the issue.«

You appear to be mistaken, have you actually tested using the Foreground to transparent-gradient? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried testing with both Black to White and Black to transparent and still have bad results, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try holding Shift while dragging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried holding shift, but it only constrains the stroke to be straight. I also tried Alt/Option and Cmd/Cntrl. but no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just switched my gradient to Black to Transparent, targeted a layer mask, and am able to hide more and more parts of my layer.

In your image, we see a black to white gradient, and a regular layer (but it would work the same way on the pixel content of the layer.)

IF you selected a Black to transparent gradient, you might have an issue with your preferences, I'd try to reset the tool in the option bar: right-click the icon and select reset tool.

As an alternative, did you try switching the blending mode to Multiply?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried Normal and Multiply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you also post screenshots that show what happens when you use Black-to-White with Multiply? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried testing with both Black to White and Black to transparent and still have bad results, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, did you 1) try to restart photoshop

2) try resetting the tool, as explained earlier?

3) Or reset Photoshop's preferences by holding down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Pc) Cmd+Opt+Shift (Mac) as you click on Photoshop's icon to start it up.

See: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

If you do have access to the menu Edit>Preferences (Pc) or Photoshop>Preferences (Mac), it is possible to reset them from the General submenu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I have tried resetting the tool and resetting Photoshop preferences. Honestly, I've been using Photoshop for about 15 years, and the gradient tool always behaved this way, so I thought that was standard behavior for the gradient tool until I saw the tutorial video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gradientToTransparency.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. Mine doesn't seem to behave in this way. Whatever is laid down in the prior gradient tool stroke disappears and only the new gradient tool stroke results seem to present themselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be clear, I tried testing with both Black to White and Black to transparent and still have bad results, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»I tried testing with both Black to White and Black to transparent«

Screenshots or screen recordings please. 

Edit: Please don’t forget including all pertinent Panels and Bars in the images. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An alternative to the transparent gradient is changing a Black to White gradient's blend mode to multiply or darken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. yes, I had also tried multiply And even blending options for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please don’t just tell us stuff, show us the screenshots to illustrate your claim. 

If you should have lost the default gradients then nothing is keeping you from either 

• loading them again or 

• creating a new Gradient that goes from a Color to transparent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I'll have to record a video and upload it.

I don't think I lost any default gradients. I believe the gradient tool is either acting funny or I am doing something wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If a tool acts funny, reset it: right-click on its icon in the option bar:

resettools.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines