• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert design or lay-out from Photoshop to Indesign.

Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually start in Photoshop with a design so that more is possible with photos.

How do I convert this to InDesign in an easy way? It turns out that it takes an enormous amount of time to put a simple layout from Photoshop into InDesign, and it usually ends up having to recreate it completely.

Simply placing .psd-file makes text not editable, vectors do not become vectors in Indesign etc.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Rubi�o there isn't a workflow from Photoshop to InDesign. You would have to recreate it to make it editable outside of placing the image and editing the original PSD when needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it should be there (in the future). As it is now, the programs are barely compatible, and this has been the case since the existence of both programs.

I discovered that when placing a .psd file in Indesign it does allow you to turn layers on and off, that's already something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As it is now, the programs are barely compatible, and this has been the case since the existence of both programs.

By @Rubi�o

The programs are completely compatible - they don't work the same way, and they don't perform the same tasks. If they did, there would be no need for separate programs. 

Layout shlould be done in InDesign, with placed pixel images from Photoshop, and placed vector images from Illustrator. This has been the case since the existence of [all three] programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you take a photo, with e.g. some editing e.g. detached elements, and you put text and some vectors on it, then you have created a layout. In this age of AI, why should it be so difficult to convert those to another format? They are just pixels and vectors and text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rubi�o its not that the programs are compatible, its the workflow you've chosen to do. Most designers will use PS for image manipulation, editing, etc. but when it comes to layout and text they switch over to InDesign which is more suited for that.

If you wish to continue with PS as your main design tool, know that you can also use Layer Comps in PS and control them in the same manner as you found in InDesign. Not seamless, but as you said it's something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kevin, Yes, as I said I usually start with Photoshop. But with small jobs like a poster, it's quite a hassle to then have to "recreate" everything again in Indesign, e.g. for creating bleed for print e.d. I wondered why this is still the case and if there was an easier way to do it. But turns out there still isn't.

Maybe compatible is not the right word. What I meant:

In either Photoshop, Illustrator or InDesign it is possible to work with pixels (raster), vectors and text, the "exchange" between the programs should be improved in my opinion.

Adobe, please read along.. 😁

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

add: The problem with switching to Indesign early is that you may still want to adjust the Photoshop composition. When placing text, you then have to keep switching back to Photoshop, and adjust your composition there. Then again you can't see what happens to the text because that is already in Indesign. Speaking about workflow... 😅

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rubi�o your theory of how PS handles text is flawed. It's not vector when processed - it's still a raster/pixel output based on your pixel dimensions. Either way we're debating semantics. The answer is still no way to convert PSD to InDesign in the end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The purpose of photoshop is to create rasterized files, but you can also use Photoshop to generate a PDF that does have text as vectors (not rasterized). So that is a bright spot, the exchange between Photoshop and Illustrator has also been made better over time. So what I would like to see is that that happens with InDesign as well, that's what I often run into.
I think you misread my previous post, where I described just that problem where you want to move around with text in Indesign while the rest of the (photo)graphics on the background are in Photoshop, so you have to go back to the placed Photoshop file each time to adjust the composition (and where youthere again can't see the text you designed in InDesign there).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a while since I used InDesign regularly, but I am sure I could chose to input a .psd file as layers, and I would expect that to be interactive. (i.e. I could right click and chose Edit in Photoshop).  Yes, there's a help page on how to do it

https://helpx.adobe.com/nz/photoshop/using/photoshop-assets-in-indesign.html.

If you are finding text to come in rasterized, then there is probably something wrong with your workflow, but more to the point, it is completely back to front to create text in Photoshop and move it to InDesign.  It would be like creating a bunch of vector objects in Photoshop, and moving them to Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, the link is helpful.

Your last sentences describe what I mean. I think it should be possible to convert text formatted in Photoshop to InDesign without much hassle/effort.

It is indeed possible to create vectors in Photoshop, so why would it be so difficult to easily transfer them to InDesign? Luckily Photoshop and Illustrator are already somewhat more compatible.

The point is, usually you start in Photoshop and continue in InDesign. Having to recreate your entire design seems rather cumbersome/unnecessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Rubi�o agree to disagree. Again, its semantics. "The point is usually you start in Photoshop and continue in InDesign" is not ususal.

I teach my college students to multitask their designs in all three applications simultaneously - image edits in PS, which are placed in InDesign. InDesign has all the text components and if there are complex vector graphics, use Illustrator. Going between all three is easy if you start off on the right foot.

Not forcing you to change your methods, you do you. But making points about a workflow that is disjointed is not practical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines