• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert Text To Shape, Separate Shapes

Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I've been using Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo, but am really trying to learn how to use Photoshop. 

For now, I'm trying to figure out how to accomplish this easy thing, and I cannot for the life of me figure it out:

I have some text that I want to convert to a shape, which seems simple enough. However, once I convert it to a shape, I want to be able to separate all of the shapes into individual layers (if possible) so that I can edit/style as needed. 

More specifically, I want to change the color of the dot  on a lower case i to a gradient, so that the bar of the i is one color and the dot of the i is another color, a gradient. When I convert the text to a shape and then, using the Direct Selection tool, select the i, it selects the whole i (dot and bar). When I draw a selection square around the dot using the same tool, it again selects both the dot and the bar, except this time node squares of the dot are blue and the node squares of the bar are white. Either way, when I then click on a gradient in the gradient panel, it applies the gradient to the whole shape.

In Affinity, when I want to accomplish the same thing, I convert the text to curves and then click to separate all of the curves, which allows me to edit/style curves individually. I know Affinity and Photoshop are two totally different programs, but is there a way in Photoshop to basically do the same thing?

In the attached screenshot, the dot of the i is what I want to apply a gradient to. 

Thanks! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the Photoshop forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Sorry for that mix up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cut the subPathItem, deselect the Vector Mask, create a Gradient Layer and paste. (edited)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By cut the sub path item, you mean the dot? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technically the dot and the vertical might be one subPathItem even though they are not connected … but, yeah, I meant the dot. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Ok cool thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2021-09-02 at 17.18.08.pngScreenshot 2021-09-02 at 17.18.15.pngScreenshot 2021-09-02 at 17.19.13.pngScreenshot 2021-09-02 at 17.19.32.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! I think I understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines