Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy and paste into photoshop color change

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Photoshop Community,

I been searching for the last 2 days now trying to figure out my issue. It's kind of driving me crazy...So when I open a image in photoshop and then open a file in like windows photo of the same file and copy and paste it into a open a new one photorshop tab (File-->New, made sure it set to RGB) it has a lighter color.

sl0thk1ng_0-1587681638295.png

Left (new tab), middle (open jpeg in ps), right (windows photo)

You can tell that the left ones is definitely lighter than the one open in ps and windows photo. I am stump after trying so many assign profile and such nothing has worked.

Thanks for the help ahead of time.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the document have the same Color space? How have you configured Photoshop to handle color space miss matches?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey JJMack,

I appreciate the response, I am a bit new to photoshop so excuse my stupidity. If you are talking about color space as in color setting then yes they both are the same:

sl0thk1ng_0-1587702909066.png

Is there somewhere specific that I need to go to configure color space miss match?

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to look into the topic color management.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

According to expert Windows users "Photos" doesn’t have any colour management capability.

Conversely, as long as your monitor screen is correctly calibrated and profiled, Photoshop will be showing you the true visual representation of the numbers in your file via a calculation of the image data, between the sRGB image profile and monitor screen profile.

Windows Photos program just can't do that, it doesn’t read the image profile and it doesn’t use the screen calibration like Photoshop does.

IF your monitor screen was a perfect match to sRGB, Photos lack of colour management wouldn’t matter, but few are unless specifically calibrated that way .

I hope this helps

if so, please "like" my reply and if you're OK now, please mark it as "correct", so that others who have similar issues can see the solution

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement.net :: adobe forum volunteer

[please do not use the reply button on a message in the thread, only use the one at the top of the page, to maintain chronological order]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All of the above is spot on. But there's one more thing: if you paste a file into another in Photoshop, and one of them does not have an embedded profile, you will see color and tone shift.

All of which can be summed up: Use only color managed applications, like Photoshop, to judge the result. But even Photoshop needs to work with correct color profiles. The document needs to have an embedded profile, and you need to have a valid monitor profile set up at system level. If you have those two, Photoshop is always correct. It then remaps/translates one into the other, and the file is correctly represented on screen.

Windows "Photos" doesn't do any of that.

Never "experiment" with profiles. That's not how it works. The profile needs to be the correct one, and there's only one correct profile. If the file has been created in the sRGB color space, then the file needs to have the sRGB profile embedded.

If there is no profile, you have to assign one. But again, only one profile is the right one. You need to find which one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines