• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could not complete the Color Halftone command because AppleTalk is not connected.

Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All, 

Today I experienced a strange error:  

"Could not complete the Color Halftone command because AppleTalk is not connected."

Has anyone experienced this?  My working theory is that it's because my image file is too large.

Thanks!

Jeremy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AppleTalk was discontinued in 2009.  Which version of Photoshop are you running and whcih version of macOS.  

For AppleTalk to work, you would have to be running macOS 10.6 or older.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Warren,

Thanks for the reply!

I'm running Photoshop 21.0.1 and macOS 10.15.1.

It turns out there there does seem to be a size threshold factoring in to this.  I got the error when using an image 28,800 x 18,000, but at 24,000 x 15,000, it worked.  However, it would be great if it is possible to work at the larger dimensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a massive file size. What is the end point for this?

Normally when working on large format pieces you work at scale not actual size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create a workpath from the halftone raster that I export to Illustrator and send to a vinyl cutter.  If I can work at higher resolutions, I get a smoother workpath.

Ultimately, its for making paintings, so I'm probably not the most logical user / use-case.

JeremyChance_MergePlot.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi. I was facing the exact same problem. I solved it by converting the file to CMYK and then splitting the channels, so that you have 4 greyscale files, one for each of the colors. Then each of those files needs to be converted to Bitmap. In that process you can select resolution and halftone screen and the type of dot and its angle. Once you have done this you can reassemble the image using each color file as a layer a new file. You need to convert each one to a color and play with transparency, but it does work. However you should check with the person outputting the vinyl as the split chanel bitmap files may be much easier for them to work with to begin with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also received this "Appletalk" error. Cropping the image addressed the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines