• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)

Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2010 Oct 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting the above error when working off of my xserve in photoshop. It is new in CS5 which we have recently upgraded to. Several people at my office are getting it. Sometimes it displays a random name with afp in front of it (I assume it is the temp name when photoshop is swapping out the new file for the old file.) It only seems to happen with psd and psb files. I have write access to the volume in question and it doesn't matter if I am the only one accessing the folder or not. I can save as and it seems to work; but it does delete the file.

Very frustrating. Anybody have any ideas? My IT guys are struggling with it, and one of them used to work on the Flash team as well as at Apple.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Hi everyone,

The recent Mac OS X 10.8.4 released yesterday has specifically named the following fix:

• Resolves an issue saving files to an Xsan volume from certain applications

referenced from this Apple KB article. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5730

If you are still experiencing this issue, please update to 10.8.4 and then re-test in your environment. Please let us know if you are still experiencing issues.

The KB article also mentions this fix:

• A fix for an issue that may prevent changes to files mad

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 492 Replies 492
Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2011 Apr 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now start holding your OS vendor to the same standards you hold us to.

Yes Chris, for sure, I am!

brunerd.com/blog: Finder’s Nasty Inherited ACL Bug (aka Error -41)

(This one is on another front however, but yes file system bugs are not foreign to Apple)

Anyway, what about a "safer safe save" where the file is written local then copied to the network share you specify, a checksum is performed, if it fails you get the option to save local (move the local temp file to a user accessible location)?

Here's my cave-man pseudo-code, for illustrative purposes only, the engineers will laugh at me I'm sure, perhaps it is "costly" in the operations it performs and the extra burden it places on the client machine for the temp copy of the file to be saved to (we have some folks working on a 4GB PSB now), but if it was an optional preference for folks that require bullet proof saving I think they'd agree that it'd be worth it!

I see the engineer's point of view as well that API for file save call is the simplest and most straightforward way to accomplish what they want, it's nice because the OS it hides all the details of implementation of the save (method, protocol, etc...), that's the beauty of Cocoa and building un code in to check that it did things right _is_ annoying, but can the parents stop fighting for a minute and think about what's best for the kids in this 21st century of networked offices?

# Cave man simplified save code....

function saveDocument

{

// save the file local first

saveLocal(&data, localTempFile);

//put on server with temp name keeping original file untouched

copyTempToDestination(localTempFile, remoteTempFile)

#make sure they are the same byte for byte

if (checkSum(localTempFile) != checkSum(remoteTempFile))

then
     // it failed offer to move localTempFile to a user accessible location

SaveErrorRecoveryDialog("Network save failed (destination file unaffected). Save a local copy to another location?)", localTempFile)

else

//checksums match yay! overwrite existing file on server

// rename existing file with a temp name, then rename the new copy with destination name

renameFile(remoteFileName, existingFileTempName)

moveTempIntoPlace(remoteTempFile, remoteFile)

if ( moveResult = GOOD )

then

Dialog("Wow I just successfully saved to a network volume?! Who'da thunk it!")

delete(existingFileTempName)

else if ( moveResult = BAD )

//move existing file back into place

rename(existingFileTempName, remoteFileName)

Dialog("Dang something went wrong! Network copy unaffected. Save a copy to another location (locally)?", localTempFile)      

end if

end if
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We don't want to read the whole file back to do a checksum, because that could take as long as saving did.

But we are looking into adding additional safety checks, on the evidence, er, I mean assumption that OS APIs and file servers can silently fail when they shouldn't.

In this case, the API is needed to preserve permissions, and avoid several other problems that occured in previous versions (and happened more often than this issue).

But everytime we add more safety, more checks, more code that should improve reilability -- OS and server software vendors find other ways to break it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2011 Apr 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done some more testing. If 2 people have the same file open in photoshop CS 5, mac computers, mac server, the last person to save wins. A little worrisom, it would be nice to know the file is open by another.If one person has the file open in Prieview, and the other has it open in CS 5 and tries to save, the user gets the could not save error, and the file is deleted from the server. So it appears to be an issue if another app has use of the file, but it still DELETES it!!! CS4 does not do this, in the same senario of photoshop and prieview, it says it cant save because the file is in use or left open. Why cant CS5 do this?

Dana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it would be nice to know the file is open by another

There is no way to know that short of using an asset management system that forces checkouts to modify the file.

When a file is opened into Photoshop -- the file on disk/server is closed after reading.  It would break many applications and workflows to hold the file open unless you are actively reading or writing it.   After reading or writing, there is nothing to indicate that someone else has the document open.

Photoshop already checks the file for changes and ask if you want to update, and warns you if the file has been modified before you save.

PLEASE read the existing thread.  You are asking things that have been answered several times already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My whole issue is the file gets deleted from the server if it cant save

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want Chris I can show you the file being deleted, show you the access log saying the file is deleted. I get the whole using version control, and accept the fact if 2 people have the file open, alter it the last person wins. My problem is files deleteing themselves, and you canned response telling me that this is not happening due to photoshop, and telling me to re-read the thread does't cut it. Saving a file should not delete the file EVER period. If the file doesn't get deleted, why is it gone? Why do the logs say it was deleted? Logs don't lie, and I can reproduce every time. This is not a SAFE save, in fact just the opposite. The few times it happed I was able to retrive the file from backup, but what if the file was worked on after my backup? We have hundred's of thousands of dollars wrapped up in client's projects, are we suppose to tell the client, sorry a photoshop bug wipped out your file and miss deadlines? This is not minor to me.

IP 192.168.122.203 - - [27/Apr/2011:17:06:33 -0800] "Delete PacSun_Day_3-2540CON_revFace.tif" 0 0 0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And in response to you snarky reply

"Please read the thread before adding comments.

(also, this toipic has nothing to do with opening files, so the suggestion about an error message makes zero sense)"

I thought the whole issue is another resource "locking" the file, so how does opening the file while it's not available make no sense to you? (which CS4 seems to do fine by warning you it's open or in use) Reguardless it seems you and your company are taking zero responsability for a major bug. We are not all retarded, I'm sure everyone in here is computer savy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought the whole issue is another resource "locking" the file, so how does opening the file while it's not available make no sense to you?

Again, it really sounds as if you have not read this or the other thread you posted in.

The issue is saving a file while the OS, Finder or something ELSE may have the file locked.

It has nothing to do with Photoshop opening the file.

Photoshop already does warn you if the file is in use by another application when saving -- but the OS bug appears to have issues (maybe timing related) with locks on the file.

We have done our part, and determined that the responsibility in this case is with Apple.

We cannot fix their OS bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In CS4 in the exact same scenario, it throws the error saying it's in use or open. This is totally acceptable. The file deleteing itself is not. Own up to the problem, and solve it. I find it hard to believe it can behave correctly in CS4 and not in CS5.But it's all apple's problem right? And BTW I'm not just reposting nonsense over and over, your response is a load of crap. We spent over 70K for CS5 last year show a little respect to a good customer Chris.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not even trying to read the existing posts or follow the discussion, are you?

I'm posting the details and the facts.

I'm sorry if you have trouble accepting facts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is Adobe's and Apples relationship so estranged, that you cant work with them to figure out why saving can potentially cause deletion? Rather than finger pointing and denial it would be in your best interests to resolve this. Has any one on your team reached out to Apple?  Like I said before, just open the file in Preview and try a save in PS and it happens every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lets just say that Adobe and Apple's Relationship hasn't the been the most wonderful over the last few years.

Frankly, I wouldn't lay the blame at anyone's feet on this one because there is enough on both sides that have fed the fires. 

But what I am saying is that they both need work together and work on a fix that will make us the customer happy.

Also I was pointing out that guess what??!!  Adobe isn't the only company that says they don't support network saving.

Look we have been doing it at my company for well over 18 years, and I can count the times on 2 hands and 2 feet that we had a real problem with it.  This year is one of the worse.

But anyone else remember saving a photoshop document and then reopening it only to find white pixel artifacts?

Lets just hope this gets fixed sooner than later....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has any one on your team reached out to Apple? 

Yes, repeatedly.

And yes, I believe we have submitted this as a bug to Apple (but I didn't write the bug report myself, so I can't be 100% positive).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2011 Aug 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, I ran into the same situation this a.m. Desktop Leopard and new MacBook Pro. Shared a file for screen saver when setting up last week. Opened

one of the jpgs on the MBP to make a minor color adjustment and hit save. Got the "could not save because message" along with instructions to

unlock or open the "get info" for the file and check permissions.  When I opened the file, sure enough, the permissions related to my MBP and no permissions were active for read or right. I unlocked as admin, added read and write and all was well. I did not loose the file after my first failed attempt. I checked the file on my desk top and sure enough, the same situation.  Here is the deal.  The original screen saver file was created on my old IMac, Tiger, that died a few months ago.  My admin name on IMac was "Susy Smith". My admin name on my new desk top, Leopard, is "Susy J Smith". Admin name on MBP, Snow Kitty, is "Susy J. Smith".  It appears CS5 reads the permissions and if a file was created on another machine with different permissions, the permissions will show on the file for the current computer but will not have read and write activated. It will give this message and require you to apply proper permissions.  It was required for all 7 jpgs in the file in question. A royal pain. The only answer if you use multiple machines appears to involve making sure read and write permissions have an identical common identity for read and write on all of the machines.  I have not run into this ever before and did not switch to CS4 to see if this applies there but it likely does.  I did not have the file disappear however when it failed to save the first time.  I hope this helps a little.

asu_chic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 17, 2011 Nov 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a newer iMac running Lion working off a smb share and have been getting the "could not save because write access was not granted" and i can repeat the error every time by turning on or off the "preview" in the finder window (or coverflow view also), with preview on we get the error and can only save as a new name or to the local drive, when we turn preview off it saves fine back in the original directory. On this machine CS3 behaves the same, only the error is "file is in use or open...." again turning off the preview fixes that also. The other macs at work are all using admitmac smb, and are all running leopard or even tiger (cs3) and even with preview on do not have this issue. Newer OS with new finder seem to be our issue so the operator has been told to not use preview but they can use bridge. Maybe this info will help someone else.

Gordon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2011 Nov 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is saving a file while the OS, Finder or something ELSE may have the file locked.

It has nothing to do with Photoshop opening the file.

Photoshop already does warn you if the file is in use by another application when saving -- but the OS bug appears to have issues (maybe timing related) with locks on the file.

We have done our part, and determined that the responsibility in this case is with Apple.

We cannot fix their OS bugs.

Chris, I agree that this is not directly a Photoshop issue. I've always seen this as a Lightroom bug. Here's are the only circumstances where I have encountered this error:

Select file (located on server) in Lightroom

Cmd-E to Open existing PSD from Lightroom, choosing to edit original

Make changes in Photoshop

Try to save, get error, use Save As to save file

However, I do NOT get the error in any of the following situations:

Open a RAW file from Lightroom

Open a PSD and choose to edit a copy

Open existing PSD, then quit Lightroom before saving the file in Photoshop

Batch export RAW files, choosing to run a post-export Photoshop action

This creates a PSD for every RAW file, imports it into Lightroom, then opens it in Photoshop

Cmd-R in Lightroom to reveal the PSD and open it in the Finder (without quitting LIghtroom)

*** This is my current workaround ***

Open the PSD in any method OTHER THAN from Lightoom, whether or not Lightroom is running.

I'm running Lightroom 3, Photoshop CS5, and Mac OS Lion. Files are on a server running Lion server. I do not use the zip utility mentioned earlier in this thread. Having another user browsing the same directory the file is in does not seem to have any effect. I had this same issue when all machines were running Snow Leopard, Lightroom 2, and Photoshop CS4, with the exact same results as above.

I'm not sure I understand why Photoshop pukes on the file if it's saving to a temp file and then swapping out the old file with the newer temp. The error happens far too quickly for Photoshop to have even attempted to save to a temp file before deleting the original.

Nate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jack - please stop posting the same repetitious nonsense and read the existing posts that explain the problem.

Photoshop is not deleting your file.

Your OS has a bug, and that OS bug is deleting the file.

Photoshop cannot fix this.

Apple has to fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris we should clarify things here a bit:

>> Photoshop is not deleting your file.

>> Your OS has a bug, and that OS bug is deleting the file.

By "your OS" you are refering to Apple's OSX on the Macintosh running/using PS CS5.

>> Photoshop cannot fix this.

>> Apple has to fix this.

Then

- why did this pre-existing OSX API bug not cause such trouble with PS CS4 or older?

- why is this happening only with .PSD files in CS5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I searched through some of our archived work yesterday and found a bunch of .afpDeleted* files from September, October and November 2008 -- so this was an issue before CS5.

Can we get confirmation from Chris that Adobe have formally submitted this as a bug to Apple?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know its not a feature that wows potential cs upgraders (like the ever so useful (ie., useless) content-aware fill tool). But to companies like mine that have 35 photoshop users running a retouching studio off of stock macintoshes with a stock apple server, it is a HUGE problem for us. I understand that adobe doesn't support network saves and copies, but there really isn't any other way for us to get work done in a productive manner. We are thinking of upgrading to Xinet, but apparently they are having the same problem (from this forum). If anybody knows of a systems person or workflow solution that could help us with this problem, we would be glad to pay him/her to come in and look at it or solve it.

Adobe, we are professionals who use your product professionally. Between this and the liquify bug, I have lost a lot of faith in your upgrading builds and testing for professional users, and will wait a very long time before we upgrade to cs6.

Sincerely,

sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be totally honest open here, even Microsoft's own documentation says they don't support network saves. 

I have seen way too many PowerPoint presentations corrupted by working off a server. 

Networks can be tricky to deal with on file save issues.  We should all know this.  One flaky switch and ruin

your whole weekend. 

Look this frustrates the hell out of me.  I have 30 designers working on CS5.  Like everyone I want to see

this thing fixed. 

We are using a Windows 2003 Latest SP service pack using ExtremeZip 7.X (Latest)

The topology of the network is very simple, all connections are gigabit ethernet.

What I do hope is that Adobe and Apple try to put aside their public differences aka flash and other

issues and get a solution together that helps us, the customer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- why did this pre-existing OSX API bug not cause such trouble with PS CS4 or older?

Photoshop CS4 was based on the Carbon API, not the Cocoa API that CS5 is based on.

Photoshop CS4 called slightly different code, but ran into other problems because of that -- and this new API was the solution to those (more frequent) problems.

It isn't only happening on PSD.  We have plenty of complaints about TIFF, PDF, and JPEG with the same symptoms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

...please stop posting the same repetitious nonsense and read the existing posts that explain the problem...

Few people like to wade through this many posts in a 3-page discussion. It is no surprise that people are not reading previous posts.

This thread is clearly a keyword lightning rod for search engines. Everyone is coming to this thread because there is no authoritative article discussing this error message on kb2.adobe.com.

Could a clear, single-page kb article be added that would be more easily digested by the masses?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not without angering certain OS vendors beyond what I've already done 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the 'diplomacy' demonstrated in the "Reason" section of this article:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403815.html

apple.png

(This image is a joke but the lack of a posted reason on the real page is the real sign of diplomacy.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines