• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crash when selecting "Convert to Profile...".

Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of a sudden, when I want to convert a files color profile, Photoshop crashes.  I convert profiles often.  This wasn't happening the last time I used Photoshop CC 2017.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Photoshop CC 2017 (201610212.r.53 x64)

Mac Pro (Late 2013)

macOS Sierra (10.12.1)

3.7 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5

32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

2 AMD FirePro D500's w/ 3072 MB each

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would first reset the preferences files to defaults to see if this is the problem.  This is best done by pressing CTRL+ALT+SHIFT and clicking on the PS2017 link. 

Try it and let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I trashed the preferences.  The issue still exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basic or Advanced convert? Only the same single profile or all profiles? If only one, then the profile may be corrupted…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the Basic setting.  I haven't yet attempted using the Advanced setting yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so ... I trashed the Photoshop preference files and started working my way through the ICC profiles one at a time.  There are many of them and I've yet to complete the process but a trend has appeared.  It seems that the ICC profiles that cause the issue are related to video production.  ICC profiles such as HDTV (Rec. 709), SDTV NTSC, SDTV PAL, ACES Academy Color Encoding Specification SMPTE ST 2065-1, and a few others.  Some of the profiles related to video production worked just fine, but most caused Photoshop to crash.

Interestingly, If I unchecked the "Preview" selection in the "Convert to Profile" dialog box, Photoshop did not crash and the profiles applied to the image just fine.

I ran Apple's ColorSync Utility to check for bad profiles and none of the profiles that cause the crash were on the list.  Most of the bad profiles were related to my Epson printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, is this problem still existing? I have the same issue. I cannot deactivate "preview" as PS crashes right after the "Convert to profile" window opens. Any chance Adobe will address this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The problem still exists on my computer.  I've not tired to replicate it on another computer, but will do so once my schedule opens up.

It you trash your Photoshop preference files, Photoshop will open with it's default settings and you should be able to deactivate the preview settings.  As I mentioned in an earlier post above, the problem I'm having is with  ICC profiles that are related to video production.  The standard sRGB profile and Adobe RGB (1998) profiles don't cause the crash on my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines