Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

create a dent efect for applying to 3D rendered model

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

this is my first post to the forum (be gentle), I have been asked if I can apply a specific metal dent effect on a 3D model (see attached example), can anyone point me in the right direction to make this possible using photoshop please?

Kind Regards

bellyfluff920171006_121836.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

In Photoshop you have three choices to bring in surface texture.

1. Use a bump map - this doesn't actually alter the surface but simulates the texture on the surface when rendering

2. Use a normal map - again this is a simulation but can look better than the bump map

3. Use a depth map to alter the mesh surface - this is an alteration to the model mesh.

Which to use depends on the model and the surface effect required

Further info in a tutorial,  linked here, from Jesus Ramirez of the Photoshop Train

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bellyfluff9​ welcome to Adobe forums! Can you be more specific, do you want use 3D features or are you using your own 3D program and using Photoshop for texturing? If it's the second case, then you might want to generate your own normal map from a reference, see this #CreativeFriday – Creating Bump/Normal maps in Photoshop CC 2014 from any image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, I want to keep the 3D model clean and apply the dent effect as a label on the rendering software (Keyshot pro).

Kind Regards

B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you might need to create a displacement map for KeyShot, they can be the same as bump maps as davescm​ said. Just go over Filter>3D>Generate Bump Maps and then on keyshot you can adjust the intensity of the map.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last question, will the image(s) need to be saved in .PNG format?

Kind Regards

B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to KeyShot you can use these formats

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Me again

have managed to create and add the label, however for some reason I cannot seem to get rid of the border, even though the label is in .png format, any ideas?

Capture 9.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop you have three choices to bring in surface texture.

1. Use a bump map - this doesn't actually alter the surface but simulates the texture on the surface when rendering

2. Use a normal map - again this is a simulation but can look better than the bump map

3. Use a depth map to alter the mesh surface - this is an alteration to the model mesh.

Which to use depends on the model and the surface effect required

Further info in a tutorial,  linked here, from Jesus Ramirez of the Photoshop Training Channel (who is also an ACP on these forums):

Photoshop 3D - Using Depth Maps, Bump Maps, and Normal Maps

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines