• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

create New Document with alpha channel Photoshop CC

Contributor ,
Dec 10, 2016 Dec 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I create a New Document in Photoshop CC, it doesn't give me the option of having the background be a transparent alpha channel. How do I do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

In the New Document dialog after clicking on the drop-down menu beside Background contents, use the scrollbar to reveal the other options including Transparent.

newd.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way I create a transparent layer from the background is to first convert the background to a layer by double clicking on the background in the layers panel.  Then I select "All" by pressing CTRL+A.  Now press DEL button and you'll get a transparent layer.

Is this what you are after?

You could also try this Video to see if it is suitable for you.

<Save selections and alpha channel masks in Adobe Photoshop >

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason transparent is missing in the new dialog box.

However if you access the preferences (ctrl-k for windows or cmd-k for Mac) you can enable the legacy new dialog box. Then you can create a new document with a transparent background.

Edit:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a bit confused about this one, because I thought I'd seen Transparent as a background option, and when I checked it wasn't there!  It turns out that you have to twirl out Advanced Options

And it is there after that

I'm kind of surprised that it isn't hidden behind a secret, non documented, Alt/Opt key option, but it is doable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scroll bar is still there if you don't twirl open the advanced options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, got it now.  Like the others I didn't scroll down

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the New Document dialog after clicking on the drop-down menu beside Background contents, use the scrollbar to reveal the other options including Transparent.

newd.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I found it, yeah I didn't scroll down. I could see how that could be confusing, especially if you don't see the scroll bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 18, 2016 Dec 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I didn't see the scroll bar. Confusing. Thank you, Trevor.Dennis​!

PS_New_TransparentLayer_GIF.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines