Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating automation/droplet for batch resizing and putting on background

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

Could someone please help me with an automation? I routinely need to resize images to 1080x1080 on a blackbackground (with the long edge extended to 1080). I can't figure out how to automate this so that I can drop the images on a droplet, have them open, resize, and then save. Can anyone help? Doing it manually is so frustrating. 

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First is the action, there are only 2 key steps for the resizing:

1) File > Automate > Fit Image commad 1080 x 1080 px

2) Image > Canvas Size command 1080 x 1080 px with black extension colour (presuming flattened file input)

atn.png

You may also need to add a save as step if you require different settings or formats.

The Droplet settings will depend on your workflow, I am guessing that the action steps are the sticking point? More on Droplets/Batch here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/processing-batch-files.html

When recording the action, start with a larger image than 1080 px.

Stop recording after recording the fit image step. 

Setup a canvas that is not 1080 x 1080 px.

Start recording again, then resize the canvas to 1080 x 1080 px, stop recording.

This is not a linear recording, you need to prime the action steps from different sized images, so that the recording and then playback works as required as a linear process on the final images.

Hope this makes sense.

If you are not working on flattened images, or a mixture of flattened and layered images then the process is different but similar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Can you explain the "This is not a linear recording, you need to prime the action steps from different sized images, so that the recording and then playback works as required as a linear process on the final images."? I have images that are all different sizes and formats...

In the past when I've tried to automate and create the droplet, when I drop an images onto the droplet, it just reopens and resizes the file I used to create the action originally. I don't know where I'm doing it wrong to where the image that I'm dropping on the droplet is the one that is batched.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaultfroo4mog86vg wrote:

In the past when I've tried to automate and create the droplet, when I drop an images onto the droplet, it just reopens and resizes the file I used to create the action originally. I don't know where I'm doing it wrong to where the image that I'm dropping on the droplet is the one that is batched.

My initial comment was on creating an action that successfully processed all images on both edges. If your recorded action has both width and height values on the canvas size step we can move on.

Your new question is about the droplet setup, which is related to but separate from the action. Are you saving in the same format and settings? Or is the output format and or settings different than the input?

Many users have setup problems with batch or droplets, however it is all explained in the following links:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/processing-batch-files.html#process_a_batch_of_files

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/processing-batch-files.html#create_a_droplet_from_an_action

If your previous actions had a save as step that recorded the image name, then you probably didn't use the checkbox to override the action save step.

P.S. It would be best to post screenshots of the action and droplet/batch setup, with the action steps fully expanded and wide enough so that all details are visible. That way we can look at specifics, rather than generalisations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Can you explain the "This is not a linear recording, you need to prime the action steps from different sized images, so that the recording and then playback works as required as a linear process on the final images."? I have images that are all different sizes and formats...

You need to create the action so that it will work as expected. Once you fit the image to 1080x1080, depending on the image used to record the action, it may not possible to extend the canvas on one or either edges.

Compare these two actions:

atns.png

The one on the left should work correctly with all images that are larger than 1080px, whether square, portrait or landscape orientation aspect ratio. The action on the right has been incorrectly recorded as the image used was not appropriate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add: if action is enlarging/adding to canvas dimensions it will probably add canvas color - if there is Background layer in the Layers panel. You can choose which color but also avoid that if you want transparent pixels. Befors using Canvas Size ensure that Normal not Background layer is present (at the bottom if its not the only layer) in the Layers panel. Record step to promote Background layer to normal before using Canvas Size.

There is also reference point in Canvas Size dialogue which can be used to add canvas extension selectively.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IT WORKED!!!! I have been struggling with this for SO LONG!! THANK YOU ALL!!! 

Now, a follow up...can I somehow send the action and droplet to my colleague? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least mark the correct answer if you showed up again after over a month 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now, a follow up...can I somehow send the action and droplet to my colleague? 

Yes you can. Please note that you must save action set. Saving single action from action set won't work. You may want to create new action set (click on folder icon at the bottom of Actions panel) an drag action in it before saving process.

Select action set in the Actions panel then click on panel menu (hamburger icon in the top right corner of Actions panel) and choose: Save Actions...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines