Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS4 bug: brush cursor display is incomplete

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2008 Oct 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed CS4 under WinXP, 4G RAM.

I've set my brush cursors to show full size. The cursor displays correctly for brush sizes up to about 150 px. Beyond 150 px, the circle representing the brush size gets truncated: at 170 px, it's down to a half-circle, at 200 px it's down to one-third of a circle, and at 300 px all that remains is a small curved line segment.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 224 Replies 224
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2008 Nov 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seen that both nvidia and my laptop manufacturer didn't release an updated version for my graphic card (8600M GT), solving this issue was really hard but seems like i found the way thanks to this website http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/
It has all the specific drivers for all laptop graphic cards, just look in the list of the cards supported for each driver version.
Hope this can help,
cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2008 Nov 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To all who have had/have problems with incomplete cursor, I'm yet another joining the ranks. I have a Dell M1730 laptop with Nvidia 8800GTX GPU SLI, 4 GB ram, 2 x 200 GB storage in Raid ) configuration. I have tried all Nvidia drivers from 169.04 through 180.43. My base driver is 178.24 (recent). I also have a 24" LG monitor connected via dual link DVI-D cable running on idenpendent configuration (when forces SLI to be disabled). Both laptop and external monitor are running at 1920 x 1200 resolution.

I have run all programs on CS4 Designer Premium and they all work great. No problema with the cursor at all sizes. All GPU related goodies appear to work fine.

However, when I switch the screen to the LG 2452T screen (using the laptop to hold the pallets, I have a problem with the incomplete cursor. Yet all other GPU-related functions work every bit as well as when I use the laptop screen (with pallets on the LG 2452T).

Hopefully, when Nvidia releases their final version of their Big Bang II drivers (expected around the 17th of November), we may have a solution. These drivers are expected to run dual monitors on SLI. Until then, I use Photoshop CS4 on the laptop and drag the pallets over to the 24" monitor. This will work until either the driver issue is fixed or I go blind.

Almost forgot. I also use a Wacom Intuos 3 with no problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2008 Nov 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to add that I'm having the incomplete cursor problem too, on my second (Cintiq) and third monitor only. The primary monitor works fine, but since I paint on my Cintiq it sucks. I'm on XP. Changing the Cintiq to primary via the display function doesn't help. Lowering the Hardware Acceleration does work, but I don't want to do that just for PS CS4!

I have a Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT and had the up-to-date driver version 178.24, which didn't help. So updated to the beta 180.43(dated 23/10/08) which still doesn't help.

Anyway I'll report it to Nvidia, so I hope they do a fix on the beta but I'm not holding my breath.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2008 Nov 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmmm... I contacted Nvidia about this problem and they said "...there is no such known issue with the Adobe Photoshop CS4 and with the updated driver release".

This doesn't fill me with confidence that this issue will be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2008 Nov 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm up to a 180.44 on 8800M GTX with no resolution to problem. Nvidia gave me the same "no known issue."

Dell laptop users are hurting here because, we must rely on 3rd party driver modders to get the "latest drivers." Since Nvidia won't release mobile versions directly for Dell machines, we must rely on Dell. The last Dell driver for the M1730 laptop with an 8800M GTX SLI was in February. The 8700M SLI driver is over a year old now.

So, I if Adobe can't help us, as F Sansom suggested, we may be waiting for the 12th of Never to get this reslolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
so this is really bad, I have installed my CS4 yesterday and discovered the brush cursor problem - ok I have installed newest driver for my ASUS 8800 GTS and - yeah, cursor is OK- BUT --> all of my OTF fonts stoped working - this is another problem that I have googled earlier - not only my problem. I must use older drivers or my OTF fonts not work. So - What now?

Sorry but after all those serious problems, why ADOBE not try to cooperate with Nvidia when they are making their new software, or just chek it before release?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I to have this CURSOR BUG, what a pain. Nvidia 7950GX2. I have tried up dating (178.24) and end up with artifacts on the screen. You cannot manage without a cursor size, so have resorted to my old copy of CS3 and wind the computer back to a previous date. Adobe take note what a shame for users like me to not be able to use the new stuff.
Why not work with Nvidia and sort the problem out??? I have been unable to complain to them, as their site is not user friendly, and I think it would be easier to contact the Mars probe. PLEASE HELP. Vic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to contact Nvidia, go to this page: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php

Click on the Ask A Question tab then click on Continue at the bottom of the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with the cursor, and had for about the last half of the beta cycle. I am running an NVIDIA Quadro FX 3540 with the very latest drivers (Oct 11, 2008).

In addition, I cannot enable OpenGL as this card is apparently 'not supported'. I haven't yet tried the dangerous "older video card" registry hack; my card isn't really that old and I've been nervous about trying it.

AND ... I have the (apparently common) problem of the install failing when installing the English Language Pack part of PS 32-bit, so I cannot use that program (and my old filters) either. My only option seems to be to uninstall and re-install the *entire* web pro pack, as I have no option to uninstall and re-install 32-bit PS.

So I can't really use PS at all right now. :(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2008 Nov 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark,

Are you saying that the problem was there during beta? Was it ever fixed then?

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> So I can't really use PS at all right now.

Kinda sad when lack of video card "acceleration" prevents you from using a photo editor. In any case, the older video card registry "hack" worked for me. I'm up and running with CS4 and quite happy with it now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same issue with CS4. Drivers are up to date, but cursors on brushes, eraser, dodging and blurring all either go to a partial segment - eg a 45-60 degree arc - or freeze and refuse to resize or show themselves. Particularly irritating when resizing a brush, where Esc sometimes cures a freeze, but usually you have to reselect the tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul,
Yes; this issue appeared during beta and, no, it was never fixed. :(

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 18, 2008 Nov 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark - the incomplete cursor problem is an NVidia driver bug. Adobe can't fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's so nice to push things under the rug like that.

nVidia's bug or not ... Adobe has a way (via a registry setting) to "work around the bug" and it's a shame that they would rather push it under the rug than help their customers out.

If it weren't for the registry setting I would have asked for my money back from Adobe already because CS4 is basically broken on my laptop. And still, to this day, neither the laptop manufacturer nor nVidia have produced a fix.

Why let a little thing like this render a $699 package unusable when distributing the registry setting could potentially help the customer instead? Wouldn't you rather have happy (instead of irritated) customers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing is being pushed under the rug. I'm telling you the facts. We're trying to work with customers to find and fix these issues. We've been working with the video card makers for years to get these issues fixed -- but it is up to them to deliver the updated drivers.

And I don't know of any magic registry setting that can fix a broken video card driver. The most we can do is say "ignore all the errors and assume the video card works correctly, whether it really does or not" (allow old GPUs).

Again, we're trying to help our customers.
But we do not have details of the video card circuitry or programming, we do not have source code to the video card drivers, and we are not setup to certify and release video card drivers (Microsoft has interesting procedures and requirements).

If your video card maker has not yet fixed the bug - let them know, so they can address the bug in the model specific and OS version specific driver that you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My video card maker does not support me.

nVidia does not directly support the video card in my laptop and my laptop manufacturer appears to not care either.

That meant my choice was either: return Photoshop CS4 as "broken" on my laptop, or buy a new laptop.

Luckily one of your engineers offered the registry setting to me before I succumbed to the "return CS4" choice.

If you don't have access to the registry setting, I'd be happy to send it to you. Maybe you could offer it to others in this forum that are in the same boat I was in before they return the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the link to the optional GPU registry keys for CS4:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=4056&fileID=3769

What's worked for some people is to try using the AllowOldGPUS_ON.reg key. To use it, download the zip archive from the above link and double click on that specific registry key - DO NOT use the other registry keys unless you feel confident that you can get things back to default settings. Using the AllowOldGPUS_ON.reg key will not disable anything in the application.

Once you've enabled the registry, quit and re-launch CS4.

This has helped some people who have reported this problem.

-Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2008 Nov 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to check... before trying the AllowOldGPUS_ON.reg ... that if Nvidia do actually fix the driver that will correct this cursor problem, will using the AllowOldGPUS_OFF.reg reset the registry back to it how it was?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Photoshop Engineers,

I just wanted to try out Photoshop CS4 and have to say that this behavior is quite odd. I understand that it is a fault of the graphic card drivers, but please also understand the many customers of Notebooks. Notebook graphic cards from NVidia do NEVER have direct support from the manufacturer, the only support we lads get is over our supplier of the notebook (be it Dell, HP or whatever).

These suppliers will NOT update our drivers specifically for our notebook/graphic card for only one program - that is the annoyance with notebook graphic cards. The only way is to use "hacked" drivers from third parties which might result in system failure.

------------------------------------------------
I would like to know what performance decrease I will have with the following settings, each making the cursor display WORK CORRECTLY:

Running Windows XP SP3 with a NVidia GeForce 8400M GS driver version 156.83 on a Dell Vostro 1400.

1. Go to Control Panel > Display Properties > Settings > Advanced > Troubleshoot and set Hardware acceleration to one step below full. It says "Disable cursor and bitmap accelerations". --> cursor display works
My question: What does this do outside of Photoshop
1.1 I can enable Photoshop Settings > Performance > Enable OpenGL Drawing
My question: Does is actually use the OpenGL drawing now or is it disabled?

2. Apply the Registry "fix" posted by Adam Jerugim AllowOldGPUS_ON.reg. (Windows hardware acceleration settings back to full hardware acceleration) Restart Photoshop --> cursor display works
But here comes a problem:
2.1 I cannot enable OpenGL Drawing in Photoshop! Once I do that the cursor reverts back to the "clipping" behavior.
------------------------------------------------

Again: I KNOW this is a problem of the graphic card manufacturer (NVidia), I just think that either you should alert the customers on how to fix this behavior or think of a workaround. All users being stuck with mobile NVidia graphic cards (I guess that's a lot) will probably NOT receive any updates for their drivers (e.g. official Dell drivers for my graphic card are from 07-12-2007).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, therein lies the problem. Adobe engineers have made us rely on the competence of the various video card manufacturers to update their drivers so that CS4 will work.

Said engineers were lured into the trap of "Hey, this is cool, let's make it happen!"

Unfortunately, they haven't made it happen for a great many of us who bought the program. Yet, they blame it on the video card manufacturers.

If I could return this program, I would. Unfortunately for me, I tried to work it out with said engineers during my 30-day return period, which has expired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 20, 2008 Nov 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe in the light of the perceived problems they would be prepared to stretch a point. Or you could always appeal to John Nack!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case it might help someone:

After following this thread for a while, (and being a late-in-the-cycle CS3 user with an NVIDIA card), my curiosity got the better of me, so I installed the CS4 trial and encountered the incomplete cursor.

I've got the Quadro FX 570, and an update to driver version 6.14.11.7846 (11/05/08), which appears applicable to a number of other cards, fixed the cursor problem.

Aside from that, so far CS4 is a delight. Thanks to Chris and Adam for hanging in here. Chasing down emotionally charged issues like this can be a real balancing act, and no matter what anyone thinks about Adobe as a company, you guys are doing yourselves proud. Your diligence is appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New nVidia drivers came out yesterday: 180.48. Running XP SP3, 8800 GTS
With OpenGL on, the full cursor shows on the primary monitor but the image
doesn't show at all on the secondary and the cursor is incomplete at larger
sizes.
With OpenGL off, the full cursor shows on the promary monitor and the image
shows on the secondary but the cursor is still incomplete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derrick,

With the latest update. OpenGL off, and the AllowOldGPUs_ON.reg registry key, do you have complete cursors?

-Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines