• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS4 crashes when using the text tool

New Here ,
May 10, 2009 May 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everytime that I click on the text tool to use it, the program freezes up and Microsoft Windows pops up a message saying 'Adobe Photoshop has stopped working.' I've given in to just using Illustrator for my text, but am finding that I need in now in Photoshop.

Anyone have any answers?? I'm getting frustrated??

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing to try is resetting the text tool from the drop down menu in the Character palette or in the Options bar, next to the "T" icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, so I guess even clicking on the Text icon makes the whole thing shut down. Double grrr..

I'm really stumped.

And frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's probably one of your fonts that got damanged, check these out

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404867.html

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/328/328607.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

where is the character palette or options bar?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2009 May 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I friend.

I have the same problem as you. I use Suitcase 11.

I had the problem for the first time one month ago, or so, and I solved the problem uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop. Now I have the same problem again. The symptom I noticed is that when Photoshop works fine, when I start the program, while loadind the program itself it runs a procedure refered with fonts, and now that it fails again, it don't load this module refered to fonts.

Indesign and Illustrator works fine, instead.

I don't know if the problem arises when I load a font, a particular font or what can be the cause but the other referred applications works without any problem.

Do you also use Suitcase? Have you have the same symptom that don´t load the module fonts when starting Photoshop?

I would be gratteful if you could tell me if or when you solved the problem.

Best regards.

JL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again.

I discovered that this is a problem with something in the preferences file C:\Documents and Settings\%user%\Program data\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4\Adobe Photoshop CS4 Settings\Adobe Photoshop CS4 Prefs.psp

You should delete this file (rename it to preserve) and the problem ends. You have to redefine your preferences but up to the moment I don't know other way to solve it.

I don't know the cause of the problem, but if I find it, I'll tell you. (Please, be kind to tell me if you foun this cause by yourself or other way to solve it without loosing the preferences).

Best regards.

JL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you upgrade to Photoshop 11.0.1?

And what OS are you using (and 32 or 64 bit)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2009 May 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, thanks for your quick answer.

No I didn't. I'm doing it just now, after reading your message. I'm using Windows XP 32bit version.

I'll hope the problem will be solved upgrading the soft version... it will do it?

Thanks again and bet regards.

JL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to 11.0.1 version but the problem is there again.

Any idea or solution, please?

Best regards.

JL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If resetting preferences doesn't solve it, then most likely you're dealing with a corrupt font file (maybe more than one).

To solve that, you are going to have to isolate the corrupt font file(s).

See http://forums.adobe.com/thread/375813?tstart=30 for some ideas on how to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris!

I installed the upgrade but the problem is still here. If I reset the preferences as I said backward in the thread, it works for a time but after a few restarting of Photoshop (I usually open Indesign and Illustrator while working).

I'll try again as I read in the thread you recommended me but it is boring to have to do it every few restarting...

Did you read the symptom that I wrote talking about the sub-process that it seems not execute, for the font loading in the start of the application.

Other symptom is that, when frozen, I look in the task manager and I see two process related to Photoshop: one with the Photoshop itself and the other with explorer... Is it significant for you?

Well, I'll try as you recommended and I'll tell you the results.

Thanks for your help and best regards.

JL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2009 Jun 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy Cow I am having the same problem. I just got a new computer with vista 64bit. I am getting the same problem when I go to use the text tool. I uninstaled and reinstaled photoshop but it didnt do anything. My vista Ultimate is up to date aloso.

can anyone help please, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 08, 2009 Jun 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure all fonts are fine, and not corrupt. Easy way to tell, move all font other than windows ones n se if the problem presists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2009 Jun 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally I solved the problem doing that was recommended in the Chris Cox last post.

I hope it can be useful for you in Vista.

Best regards.

JL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 09, 2009 Jun 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you isolate the corrupt fonts?  And if so, could you send me a copy of those fonts?  We'd like to make sure that Photoshop doesn't crash or hang when we see more corrupt fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2009 Jun 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah!!!

It works now I deleated like 60 fonts, dont know which ones were bad but I can use Photoshop now 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 10, 2009 Jun 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya know, if we can't get samples of the fonts causing problems - we aren't going to be able to fix the problems.

When you find bad fonts - gather them up and send us a copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2009 Jun 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started recently encountering this problem as well (Win Vista, 64 bit, crashing when trying to load font previews). There was no problem until I recently did a lot of maintenance on my computer, including a complete defragment (system files too), so my guess is that some font files got corrupted

I worked around the problem by disabling the font preview option in my preferences. PS CS4 once again runs beautifully on my system. I miss the preview feature badly, but until I can isolate the damaged fonts, this will have to do. I did not have to change any other preferences.

As far as isolating corrupted fonts... I've removed all of the fonts that Windows will allow me to remove (probably a good 75% of what was installed, since I didn't have too many extras at the time) and that did not solve the problem. I will keep trying to overwrite these fonts with (hopefully clean) copies that I'll try to obtain from others. If I can isolate a problem file, I'll submit it, or upload it and post a link here.

Meanwhile, thank you to everyone — Adobe staff and forum users alike — who have been working together to try to fix this.

~ Kristal Lee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2010 Feb 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same issue as well as another collegue at work... both using cs4, windows7 and

only happening to the 64bit version not the other version. IT uninstalled and reinstalled and still same issue...

just thought I would post too and perhaps a fix can be created by Adobe

Also... InDesign and Illustrator are just fine. The only crashing occurs with Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2010 May 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. am using Win 7 Ultmate 64 and had the same problem.

Found the culprit and deleted them. Now it's working like a charm. hayyyya...

The name of the fonts are soda and soda light

finally.

Now back to work! lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2010 Nov 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on a Mac G5 Power PC, and just upgraded to Leopard, 10.5.8  I  am having the issue of Photoshop freezing when I click on the Text tool. I emptied my font cache (using Onyx), but it still happens. Any suggestions for this problem on a Mac? And detailed instructions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me again. I did a little more research and found a solution that seems to work. In Photoshop Preferences, under Type... I de-selected Font Preview Size.

So far so good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You still have a corrrupt font installed.  Disabling the font preview just means it'll crash less often, but can still crash if you touch the corrupt font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be grateful for instructions on how to find and delete a corrupt

font. I'm running a Power PC G5 with OS 10.5.8, and CS4.

Thanks!

-- Rose

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines