Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS5 Activation Serial Number - Error?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tl;dr

Does anybody know why my 2 Activation Serial Number slots are simotaniously used and unused?

Any work-arounds? Any throuble shooting? Anything an Admin can reset?

I'd really REALLY REALLY like to continue to use my CS5.

-------------------------------

I purchased my Adobe Creative Suite 5 Design Premium back in 2011, and have been using it nearly every day since.

I've recently gotten a brand new Desktop and installed CS5. Everything was fine until I got a pop-up telling me I have used both of my Activation Serial Numbers and will need to deactivate it on one of my computers to be able to activate it on this computer. I have 2 days to do this before Photoshop stops working on the new computer.

I looked up what I needed to do and it said I can either deactivate them manually from the old computer or go into my account and deactivate from there. The thing is, I dont have those old computers anymore. I wasnt even aware I had to deactivate the codes before I scrapped them. It's never been an issue before? Let's try the other route. I tried getting into my old adobe account from 2011 and it said it didnt exist.

Next step, I reached out to the Adobe Vitrual Assistant which was of no help.
It connected me to a guy and he told me there was nothing he can do and offered me a discount on the subscription service and a 3 month free trial which was BEYOND the point.

Next step then, I let Adobe know how upset I was via Twitter and kinda expecting nothing to happen.

But I got a responce and the person was very helpful. They asked great questions and they found out most importantly that my Activation Serial Number still had 2 open and avalable slots to use.

Our conversation unfortunally ended there and they asked me to post my question here.

So, to reiterate:

Does anybody know why my 2 Activation Serial Number slots are simotaniously used and unused?

Any work-arounds? Any throuble shooting? Anything an Admin can reset?

I'd really REALLY REALLY like to continue to use my CS5.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

I'm sorry to tell you that none of the pre Creative Cloud versions activation servers still work.  CS6 was added to the list fairly recently.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry to tell you that none of the pre Creative Cloud versions activation servers still work.  CS6 was added to the list fairly recently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2024 Apr 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's unfortunate.

Thank-you for the information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2024 Oct 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that sounds illegal!!! if you pay for a product how can they just stop you from using it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also go to ProDesignTools site and read the Chapter-

New activation process for legacy Adobe apps

https://prodesigntools.com/get-adobe-direct-download-links.html

You might still be able to Activate CS5 (listed in the linked article) , but if you don't have the old computer with CS5 installed to De-activate that installation, you might be totally out of luck. Time for a subscription maybe. @ BUY PHOTOGRAPHY PLANS 

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 14.0, Photoshop 26.0, ACR 17.0, Lightroom 8.0, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 15.0.0, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's new to me Rob. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah rip. Still having the issue, but this is cool to know.

Thank-you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happened to me, on the same day, with my CS5.5. Coincidence? I tried support, no help at all. They just want to sell very expensive subscriptions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2024 Apr 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Customer Support Staff can no longer offer support for adjusting activations.

TBMK Two things-

1) An installation can only be Deactivated on the computer where it is installed.

2) Re-activation can only be done as in the link- ACTIVATE LEGACY APPS 

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 14.0, Photoshop 26.0, ACR 17.0, Lightroom 8.0, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 15.0.0, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2024 Jul 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I can't post a new message, I'm replying to this one. I have been paying for the Photoshop and Lightroom bundle for many, many years. However, I do have the older CS5 suite, which includes Photoshop, Illustrator, Adobe Acrobat Pro, Indesign, etc.

I use Illustrator to make leather patterns. Now for some crazy reason, I can't use any of these programs. I think I had installed the suite on other computers, but I don't have access to them anymore. I went to the link and deactivated all computers. Reinstalling the suite keeps coming up with the same message, that I need either a new key, or I need to deactivate one of the other computers. What? No support for customers using older software?

Oh by the way, I had just recently canceled my monthly subscription. Odd now that my CS5 suite no longer works. I canceled due to Adobe's privacy terms of service, and in addition to their other many unscrupulous business practices.

I suggest everyone get off the cloud and think about other non subscription based software, like Affinity. Theyt currently have a 6 month free trial for the entire suite, and no credit card required. It's a definite learning curve, but I'm sure I can figure out their software, and have less headaches than with Adobe. I am very disgruntled with Adobe due to their lack of support and stranglehold on their customers. I honestly hope they lose their entire base of paying customers. They have great software, however don't support nor care about their customers with legacy software. It's a real shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2024 Apr 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only workaround I found is dual booting Windows 10 and windows 7. I installed on 7 an my activation worked but not on 10 or 11. It's wrong of Adobe to not let us activate cs5 on any pc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2024 Sep 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having trouble too, could not activate my old cs5 on my desktop with upgraded hardware.

I also did not know you have to deactivate an installed program before deinstalling or formatting or whatever, but.... maybe that did not make a difference anyway.
So support told me I´d have to deactivate the cs5 on an old device (independant of what the "devices" page in account shows, where I deleted the devices first because I thought that was the way).
I got access to my old laptop and yes, cs5 still installed, also activated. 🙂
BUT
I deactivated via help->deactivation in ps and chose option 2 (deactivate and delete product key from device) to be able to use the key on my desktop.
With high hopes I retried starting a cs5 app on my desktop.... but, guess what? Right, number of activations succeeded, still.
Really unhappy I thought okay, maybe I can still use cs5 on my old laptop, if anything... So I tried to activate on the laptop... but guess what... Same error. 

Reconnected with support, which again directly wanted to get me to subscribe to cc just like OP... I demanded Karen-ishly to talk to manager and left my contact details... was left with a message they would look into the affair. 

On va voir what will happen now. But I feel scammed.

Oh, fun fact: All supporters told me the servers ain´t working anymore (GET CC WITH DISCOUNT THO!), but on my laptop next to me I am just updating my now unactivated cs5 (right now ps 12.0.4. as I am typing) which will work for like a month as a trial I assume, lol.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh btw, my cs5 premium discs with key stickers are lying on my desk right before me. ;-(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I don't believe for one minute it's a problem with their activation servers.

Don't tell me they can't keep those things running. They make tons of money, that would cost very little to keep them running.

Fyi, I do have windows 7 running in virtual box, I deny it access to the internet. Illustrator still works with my paid for serial number (I had bought the suite for college) in this OS. So I'm stuck using it that way. Maybe give that a try. Sadly adobe acrobat pro won't install, and Photoshop works but is not super fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2024 Oct 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've also encountered a similar issue. Adobe is clearly violating the law! When the activation technology was first introduced, Adobe made a commitment that regardless of whether a product was discontinued or Adobe went into bankruptcy, it would provide special versions that do not require activation. I've previously posted about this and provided screenshots in topics urging Adobe to fulfill its commitment. However, many people here are defending Adobe's predatory behavior and have even locked the topics, preventing further replies. As a permanently licensed product, Adobe has no right or reason to unilaterally shut down the activation servers or refuse to assist users in clearing installation counts on the pretext of End of Life without providing compensation. As a holder of a permanent license, Adobe has an obligation to ensure that users can use the product permanently, which is the users' right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines