• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS5 trial issues with ram and content aware issues.

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2010 Apr 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run a vista 32 machine with 4 gigs.  I have tried just about everything including running the machine in minmum and loading only windows and adobe CS5.  I still get the error of "Could not fill because there is not enough memory (RAM)".  I have tried playing with the performce settings and GL settings to give adobe as much memory as it needed but it is still not working.

I am working with a file that is 6.49mb which is the average of what my raw file convert to when I download them from my camera.  Now the only way I can get it to work is seriously downgrade the file in size and then the content aware fill works great or decrease the area that is going to be filled.

So am I missing something or do I have to convert everything over to 64 bit and throw 8 gigs in this machine to get this to work with those tyoe of file sizes?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 116 Replies 116
May 19, 2010 May 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps, before ranting, you should read what has already been posted?

As has been said several times:  Adobe knows about the problem and is working on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, be cool. I'm not a child. I'm master assistant, I teach computer sciences, and I'm able to read what you write. Do you see ?

More, I'm a paying client.

IMO, what YOU write is no religion. And I don't know if you have the right to speak in the name of Adobe.

Others say, here or elsewhere, that Adobe will never post an upgrade. I don't know who they are, and I don't know who you are.

Will I believe one and not the others ?

Anyway, things are slow, and I'm eagerly waiting for a solution.

I was not angry, but I feel your words like disrespect.

Unless you are Thomas Knoll

Nota bene : I'm not at all a native English speaker, and what I say is maybe different of what I think.

André

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2010 May 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as a note to my original message. I have now installed Windows 7 64bit on my system after not being patient enough to wait for 32bit patch. Now have 8GB memory with 9800GTX graphics......WOW. I can now stitch 12 5D Mark II photo super fast....flatten layers and with 300MB file select large area and do content aware. Interestingly when it was 32bit, when using content aware on same photo I'd get pretty average to poor results.....however with 64 bit windows the content aware seems to be smarter and makes better results. I can still make content aware crash if i select an area that is too big....however if I had to do content aware on an area that size I'd be thinking of resooting the scene. Damn nice piece of software!!!! My heart goes out to all you 32bit users. All I can say is upgrade is worth it!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 03, 2010 Jul 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

Perhaps, before ranting, you should read what has already been posted?

Ranting sometimes allows the release of tension that might otherwise lead to someone "going postal", so it's not a bad thing.

And don't forget, in this world of cold, unfeeling, unreachable megacorporations not everyone's as easy to talk to as you are, Chris.  Thanks for that. 

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm one that has reasonable results with CA. I can tell you this: It is no replacement or upgrade for the clone tool. If it works, fine. If not then go on with what you know.

There may be bugs of which I am not aware and if so, may get fixed. I would expect that a change, a refinement in that tool in in the next version or two.

So far as using CA, once I make a selection, I examine it at 100% and make any corrections using the Quick Mask. Then I expand the selection about 5px and feather it 3 to 5 px. I let the CA do it's job then clean it up with either clone or healing brush.

There are folks here who make very refined selections like hair strands for whom refinements exist in CS5 (I think!). Perhaps posting a thread on what you do instead of here might help.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2010 Jun 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running CS5 Upgrade version, not trial, on a 32 Bit XP machine, CORE 2 DUO EXTREME 2.66GHZ QX6700 8M processer,

EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GTX 768MB PCI-E graphics card and 4 GB of RAM. I have tried the solutions suggested here including others such as removing programs from my start up list and shutting down unnecessary processes, but still Content aware fill only works on small areas of my 150MB TIFF files.  Otherwise I get an out of RAM error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 24, 2010 Jun 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've upgraded to Intel 650 i series and  have 4 gb ram (headed for 8) ... so far.... so good. No issues yet. One largish sky patch job with context aware delete on a panoramic shot took better part of 5 minutes to process! So this is very memory intensive. Adobe documentation is pretty well requiring hefty processing/RAM availability for the new context aware features - even the healing brush can crash. btw for those doing these deletes, good to overlap into existing pixels a bit to avoid little line between empty white space and image boundaries. Not perfect but mainly does very good work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2010 Jul 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far, and unfortunately, none of the workarounds has worked

for me. There is an update to Photoshop that came out 3 or 4 days ago, but that was not the fix that I had hoped for, as the problem of "insufficient memory" still persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrading from windows 7 32 bit to 64 bit with increased access to larger share of  4gb RAM, the Out of Memory problem has gone away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Frank, but converting an existing system with more than 70, 32 bit programmes already installed, is a big ask from Adobe.

They sell a 32 bit system so it should work.

Kind regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

imschris1 wrote:

Thanks Frank, but converting an existing system with more than 70, 32 bit programmes already installed, is a big ask from Adobe.

They sell a 32 bit system so it should work.

That's crazy talk man.

The 32-bit version works within the limitations of 32-bit computing. People who want more performance go to 64-bit.

If you are frightened about your 70 programs, don't be. All 56 0f my 32-bit programs work perfectly well on a 64-bit system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very inclined to agree. One thing for sure though is the context aware is veryh compute intensive. It may be just what it is... I'm not technical enough to say otherwise. I think you're right to be prudent on the date of 32 bit applications. My Panorama Maker Pro 5 which is supposed to support 64 bit runs incredibly slowly, basically uselessl in the new o/s environment.  Arcsoft support made suggestions - so far no luck. this could be sublte config issue i dont know how to fix, or something more general. If so, wait for software updates i guess. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2010 Dec 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read thru this thread and I'm still confused about what if any solution exists. I keep getting the out of memory problem as well, with OpenGL turned on or off.

I have a Win 7 32 bit system with an I5750 Intel CPU and 4gig RAM, plus scratch disks set for two other drives in my system (not C:\) .

What really confuses me is that I have now saved three of the RAW files (~12 meg each) I was trying to photomerge as ~4 meg JPEGs. When I do Merge Visible and save it as a PSD file I wind up with a file that's nearly 125 meg. How is this possible?

Like many people on this thread, I bought CS5 for panoramas and its possibly over-hyped smart fill capability. The reality isn't quite so "magic", as Russell Brown calls it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Install the Photoshop update

2) Realize that it uses a lot of RAM and will work best using the 64 bit version of Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the pixel counts (horizontal pixels x vertical pixels) of your images?  What channel depth are you using?  A 125 MB PSD file is a pretty large image to be manipulating with a 32 bit system.

CS5 does an awesome job with panoramas.  If you're getting large areas that need to be filled, take a little more care when shooting, and consider trying some of the other settings (e.g., Cylindrical instead of full Automatic).

Content Aware Fill is a darned nice tool to have in the toolbox.  Overhyped?  Maybe, but it does some pretty amazing things on occasion and can save a LOT of time changing a big job into a little detail work with the Clone tool.

Just yesterday, it surprised me pleasantly when one mouse click (Spot Healing Brush tool) changed this distracting element:

TreeBefore.jpg

Into this:

TreeAfter.jpg

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2010 Dec 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The three files, which were shot on a GF1, are 4000W X 2672 H. They are 8 bit depth and range from 2.2 to 2.4 MB. I repeated the process tonight just to be sure that the numbers were right. They are: after Merge Visible, the PSD file is 120 GB. This time I used Perspective instead of auto.

I don't mean to harp on content-aware fill. It's an impressive piece of software engineering and I've used it get rid of junk in my photos with good results. It's just that I'm frustrated because I can't get Panorama to work, even though I've drastically cut down the number of images to merge as well as their size.

I stayed away from 64 bit Win on the grounds that drivers, which have already forced me to buy a lot of new hardware (e.g. a Samsung 214T in perfectly good shape - no Win 7 driver and impossible to load a calibration file for), might be even worse with the 64 bit version.

One other thing - I've installed the recent PS update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2010 Dec 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think the days are about gone when a 64 bit system is out of the mainstream.  I've been using 64 bit systems since XP x64, and back then it really was a concern whether you could get your hardware to work.  But now even the gee whiz stuff (e.g., TV tuners) works on the 64 bit systems.  I'd like to hear a little more about why your display monitor can't be made to work...  Monitors don't usually need their own special drivers, and calibration/profiling devices don't generally rely on such drivers either, as far as I know.

I wonder if your file size would save as a smaller .PSD if you did Layer - Flatten instead of Layer - Merge Visible.  Photoshop saves a composite when layers are present and the "Maximize Compatibility" setting is chosen.  With a Flattened file the file itself IS the composite.

But saved file size doesn't really address your issue about using up your memory...  You haven't said how many of these 10.7 megapixel images you're stitching together (i.e., what's the pixel count of the resulting pano?).

Have you tried adjusted the RAM settings in Edit - Preferences - Performance?

Keeping in mind that you have a maximum memory limitation of 2 GB for one app on a 32 bit system, your OS will need some memory to continue to work, but if you have a lot of RAM installed you may be able to push Photoshop's allowed RAM size up quite a bit.  Experiment.  Also try lower RAM values too.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines