• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS6 Photoshop changing the file name of a jpg when trying to save in a new location/folder

Explorer ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help - we've just changed from CS3 to CS6 - we used to be able to save a photo (jpg) into a new folder with the same name as the original file - but now as soon as we type 'Save As' and the window opens, when we navigate to the new folder it changes the name of the file automatically. 
This is creating havoc as we're using screencaps, and sometimes will have hundreds of files with similar names, just a different number at the end (i.e. movienamegenericscreencap2489 - but when we try to save that into a different folder, it's changing it to movienamegenericscreencap - and dropping off the number, so then we have no idea which image it was, which is a problem - especially when it does it to several photos, which we then try to put in the same folder after sorting, and suddenly we have seven with the same name as each other, because the numbers have been removed - and it happens automatically every time!
Please - how do we stop it from changing the file name when we change the location for saving it???
We're working on a PC with the most up to date Windows (new machine, hence the change from CS3 to CS6!)

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Ok, but you have no idea how many get burned by illegal CS6 copies. It's a very prudent warning to put out there.

You need to show us an actual example of a file name that gets truncated. Is there a period so that the OS thinks it's the file extension? Any setting to limit file name characters?

Can't say I ever heard of this before.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

What version of windows are you using?

If in Windows Explorer you go to View>Options>Folder Options>View, do you have Hide extensions for known file types checked?

Screenshot-(927).png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Er...how did you obtain CS6? It hasn't been legally available, anywhere, for many many years. Any copy you find now will be pirated and quite likely infested with malware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely legally - we own a copy of it, bought it (as you observed) years ago, but never used it (not big fans of change in this house). So it's sat in a drawer until we got a new computer a few weeks ago and discovered we could no longer re-install CS3 - which we'd prefer. But since we can't, we've now installed CS6.
So, no, not infested with malware (unless it was installed by Adobe prior to purchase, which I'm going to assume is unlikely!).
Please feel free to help me with the query I posted though, because I genuinely have a huge issue with this, and would very much appreciate some constructive assistance, rather than the assumption that I obtained the program illegally, then was stupid enough to post in the forums of the owners of the program. (Spoiler alert - not that dumb!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, but you have no idea how many get burned by illegal CS6 copies. It's a very prudent warning to put out there.

You need to show us an actual example of a file name that gets truncated. Is there a period so that the OS thinks it's the file extension? Any setting to limit file name characters?

Can't say I ever heard of this before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Now I've checked it - there's a full stop in the file name... Okay, so I technically understand what the issue is now - but I don't know how to fix that - is there a workaround so I don't have to re-name a few thousand files to be able to sort them in Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do need to rename, Adobe Bridge has a very good Batch Rename tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay - thank you, if there's no other workaround for it then I'll try that - I'm pretty sure I have Bridge on there as well (we have the whole CS6 Suite - just never used it before!). 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can help with the string substitution regular expression, they can be complex and hard to do if you don't know regex/grep.

I'll need to few random filename examples to ensure that the pattern matching is correct, which it should be if the filename is being generated by screen capture software as the naming should be consistent.

Please post at least 3 - 6 different random filenames to help ensure that the solution offered will be robust.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - I confess to being a total newbie with all of this sort of thing, I'm an English teacher, this stuff does my head in!
Does a snip of the names work? They are all just variations of this (for this gig anyway - reference for artwork)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at your samples, there should be no need for a regex - a standard string substitution rename can replace the period.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! I have googled that, and now know how to do it. I very much appreciate your help. 
Have a great day! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have old software on a new OS. Perhaps something like the attached image may help? Get properties on the Photoshop.exe and see if the compatibility mode settings have any bearing.

compat.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - I've just tried that, but it only goes up to Windows 8 - we're on 11 (which is horrible, but it is what it is!). Even updating it to 8 it doesn't fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@wendy238652004rgi 

This is a guess, but since it's truncating the file name, I wonder if it's the old limit for 32 bit apps, which is 260 characters, including the path.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/maximum-file-path-limitation

Can you test by using a folder with a very short name and path and let us know if the file name still gets truncated?

The article from Microsoft tells how to get around the limitation, but test first to see if that is the issue.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane,
Thank you - that's not it - I've just tried it with a shortened name on one of the files and it still did it - and other names that are as long as this one, but without a period, don't do it - so it appears to be the period in the file name that's causing the issue.
I just checked on my laptop for work (which runs cloud versions, not an old version of Photoshop), and I don't have the same problem on there - so it's definitely CS6, and appears to be because of the period in the file name - but I don't know how to fix that without manually re-naming a LOT of files (which obviously I don't want to have to do!). 
Is there a workaround for CS6 that fixes the saving issues when there's a full stop (period) in the file name?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of windows are you using?

If in Windows Explorer you go to View>Options>Folder Options>View, do you have Hide extensions for known file types checked?

Screenshot-(927).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - it's definitely the full stop in the file name that's causing the problem - I was hoping there's a way to stop it being a probem, but I think I'm just going to have to rename all the files. I'll try removing the full stop in Adobe Bridge (which from what I've googled appears to be possible).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is considered best practice not to use a period character in a filename, apart from the extension. Some software can gracefully handle the period, others don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely - I've never done it, but the files are from a screencapping website online, used for art reference. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Hide extensions for known file types checked?

When i tested your file names here on windows 10 with photoshop cs6, having Hide extensions for known file types checked trucated the file name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's my desktop at home, I'll check that tonight (before I go about changing all the file names) in case that helps - thank you! 
And it's Windows 11.
If I uncheck that option, does it stop truncating the file name? Because that would be the best solution of all, if I didn't have to rename every one of the images and could just change the view option, that would be amazing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it was, and YES this fixed it! Thank you SO much - you've saved me untold hours of renaming files forever more!!!
THANK YOU! And thank you for the image that made it so easy for me to fix this just by following your highlighted screenshot! You don't know how much this will help me, I am genuinely very grateful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never understood why hiding extensions is the default in Windows. It causes absolutely nothing but trouble, and I can't think of a single good reason to ever hide it.

You can usually get away with a period in the filename, but it's risky under any circumstances. There's a small list of characters that are explicitly forbidden to use in a filename. The period character isn't on that list, but it's still not recommended.

The safe way to separate is _underscore. I use that consistently for everything.

As Stephen pointed out, Bridge has a batch rename function that is a lot more capable than it appears at first glance. It can cover almost any possible scenario, including this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It doesn't help that we've jumped from Windows Vista (yes, the old computer was really that old) to Windows 11 - so it's all pretty new to use!
But the filenames weren't ours, just FYI - I wouldn't use a full stop ever in a name!
I'm so grateful you identified that as the issue, because it helped us find the solution - and it means I don't have to rename them, and it won't happen again either! 
It's also good to know it isn't a CS6 issue - it was a default in Windows, so that makes CS6 seem less daunting (which is a good thing!). 🙂
But I will also keep Bridge in mind, I looked up how to do it and it seems pretty simple, so if I ever need to fix names, I'll know how (I won't forget this in a hurry!).
Thank you again.
w

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 has been discontinued since 2017.  Are you sure you have legitimate software and not some malware infected counterfeit?  Or maybe you really mean Photoshop CC (Creative Cloud)??  Please open your Help Menu and click on About Photoshop.  Versions matter.  Which version do you have?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines