• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+E shortcut not working

Jun 29, 2011 Jun 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

the Ctrl+Alt+Shift+E shortcut is not working on my cs5. So if I clicked on buttons nothing happened. When I click only Ctrl+Shift+E everything is OK and it creates a new layer with all layers which were visible. But I want COPY the merged all layers into new layer, but it does not work. Is there another way without shortcut to do this? What can be the problem? I saw this happened to someone, but the issue was not solved.

ps. using XP, 32bit version

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you go to Layer>Merge Visible and hold down

the Alt Key while pressing the Merge Visible command?

A workaround might be to select the layers you want to merge

(don't select the locked background layer or all the layers will

merge into the background layer) and then press Alt+Ctrl+E,

but this keeps the name of the top layer and adds merged to the name.

MTSTUNER

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much Mtstuner!

If I hold down the Alt while pressing the Merge Visible everything is Ok, so thank you.

But when I use ctrl-alt-e or ctrl-shift-alt-e nothing happens, it doesnt matter if i have visible background layer, protected or not so...that shortcut simply does not work. But I will the Merge Visible button with Alt key, however not so fast, but at least working 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you pressing the Alt key first by chance?  This might matter on some systems.  Press Control first and see if the key combination works.

It's just a hunch; it works in either order for me.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I faced similar issues in a new Windows laptop these days, what solved for me was making sure I was using the Alt GR key and pressing it first, before pressing ther other keys.

-Fabiane A.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which side of the keyboard are you using?

Sometimes the keys (ctrl, shift and alt keys) on the right side of the keyboard don't always

function with every shortcut on some systems.

MTSTUNER

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use that often in actions and noticed there are Photoshop doocument state conditions that will cause "Ctrl+Alt+Shift+E" to do nothing like the current target layer not being visible and a condition that will cause "Ctrl+Alt+Shift+E" not add a new layer but to stamp the visible layers into the current empty layer for in the old days you were required to add a new empty layer before using "Ctrl+Alt+Shift+E".  When you create an action or just using Photoshop the old way always works so I use that to my advantage it so easy just hold down "Ctrl+Alt+Shift" then tap N then E. More or less a "Ctrl+Alt+Shift+N+E" shortcut for "Ctrl+Alt+Shift+N"  is add new layer without prompt and be the current target where "Ctrl+Alt+Shift+E" is stamp visible layers.   In actions I normally follow that with "Ctrl+Shift+]" move layer to front top of the stack for you never know where in the stack the layer might have been added when someone else uses you action it depends what the current target layer was when the action is played. The  "Ctrl+Shift+]" often needs to be a forced recording for  "Ctrl+Shift+]" will not be recorded if the current layer is on the top of the stack one needs to edit the  "Ctrl+Shift+]" into the action. Just one more condition where things work differently an othef when the is only a Background Laye it can not be hidden if there are other layers the background can be hidden.   There is no place these odd condition are written down you just need to discover them and work around them.  The hard part is the remembering them... Even Adobe can not for changes in Photoshop behavior can cause thing like action not to work correctlt always.  Adobe ships two action that have a problem because of a Photoshop behavior change. These actions have not worked correcty for a most common document state in many releases. It does not matter for no one uses Adobe actions. However when I reported the problem and demonstrated how the actions were designed to work and showed them the failure and gave them updated actions to bypass the behavior problem.  They were unable to accept that Adobe has a problem.  The bigest problem Adobe has is Adobe Support.  If you open a bug report you will get back a canned reply that your bug report will be closed unless they hear from you.  So you must open a bug report wait for the canned response then reply that you want the bug fixed before they will even look at it.  Nothing like starting out on the wrong foot Adobe Support.....some support....

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use that shortcut in almost every photoshop project. I have this problem on a macbook pro. I hope it will work again soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've found out, that the short cut is working, when you choose all layers and press the shortcut. I hope this will be fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines